Poll

Is Pinch-Zoom & Scroll a required feature? (Only applicable to interfaces with a higher resolution than your android screen.)

No, I will be using an interface optimized for my Android screen.
Yes, I want to use interfaces designed for large computer monitors on my small phone screen.
Maybe later, please just give me the app.

Author Topic: Elve Mobile for Android (UPDATE: Now on Google Play)  (Read 10117 times)

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
Elve Mobile for Android (UPDATE: Now on Google Play)
« on: April 25, 2012, 09:42:36 pm »
We have a basic Elve Mobile for Android app working on Android 2.2 and newer devices. :)

As many of you know we don't usually announce what is going on "behind the scenes" during development however due to the large push for an android app and having already announced it was a top priority after v1.5...

The Elve touch screen interface portion of the app is working. You can see the touch screen interface, press buttons, move sliders, etc. It chooses the proper screen orientation based on the interface dimensions, and automatically scales the image to proportionally fit the screen.

What's left? At a minimum we still need to add a settings screen to the application and do broader device testing.  The app does not currently support zoom & scroll like the iOS app does but we are looking into. Unfortunately Android does not have a built in solution for this like iOS does (at least not in Android 2.2). We would be interested in your thoughts on that feature. We will also be looking into device compatibility and performance.

If you have an Android device and would like to test Elve Mobile for Android please reply. Please do not PM me as I am using this topic as list of interested users.

When we get closer to a distributable app we will let you know here.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 09:03:21 pm by John Hughes »
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
Re: Elve Mobile for Android (Coming Soon)
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 09:57:17 pm »
I added a poll regarding the Pinch-Zoom & Scroll feature.

This is the feature where your touch screen interface is designed for a high resolution screen 4:3 or 16:9 pc monitor but you would still like to use it on your android device. Pinch-Zoom allows you to zoom into the interface and scroll lets you pan the zoomed interface.
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

Frunple

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 05:05:31 am »
I'd love to try it out.
Scrolling would be huge in my opinion. It must be a newer feature in your iOS app, at least I never saw it but I don't use the app anymore but that was a big let down. Instead of being able to scroll through a page I had to create multiple pages. So for lighting as an example, instead of one scrolling page I had 5 different pages. Not very user friendly or "creatively" friendly.

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 07:54:30 am »
Frunple you are referring to list scrolling which is a different kind of scrolling.

The scrolling I am referring to is when you zoom into an image (or in this case an Elve touch screen interface) parts of the image move outside of the visible screen area. To see those parts you must either zoom back out, OR you may pan (or scroll) the entire screen to expose the a different portion of the zoomed image. This feature has always been available in Elve Mobile for iOS.

This is usually only necessary when you are viewing interfaces originally designed for a large monitor but are being shown on a small screen such as a phone.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 08:02:50 am by John Hughes »
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

iostream212

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 09:35:12 am »
I would like to test it as well. Scrolling and zooming would be OK as an option. I would mostly use a 10 inch tablet so I would not prefer it on my tablet but it would be OK on the phone. If find it annoying on the iPhone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
I always wanted to be somebody. In retrospect, I think I should have been more specific.

Frunple

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 09:53:34 am »
I have always been referring to list scrolling. It's a must have.

Juan C.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 10:29:58 am »
I´ll like to test it yeahh ;D

adamall

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 10:42:32 am »
I would also like to test this.  I have multiple android tablets and an android phone.

David Watt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 04:12:24 am »
Yes I'd also like to test.

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
Elve Mobile for Android (UPDATE: Ready for Testing)
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 11:17:48 am »
The very first Elve Mobile for Android app is ready for testing.

Beta Test:
* This is a beta test version, meaning it has not undergone extensive testing and may contain bugs.
* The app has been tested in the Android emulator but not on any hardware so there may be hardware related bugs.
* The app does not support pinch-zoom/panning.
* I don't have the app documentation/help done.
* The app requires Android 2.2 (Froyo).
* Only high quality mode is supported (lower quality/faster mode is not supported).

Installation Instructions
1. Since you are installing the app (the apk file) from here and not from the Android Marketplace, you must enable the "Unknown Sources" setting to allow installation of non-Market applications (it may already be enabled). You can do this from Settings app -> Applications -> Unknown sources

2. Download the apk file below from your Android device using the web browser. When you tap on the apk file below, Android should prompt you to install that application.

Tap here from your Android device to Install

3. You should see the "Elve Mobile" app on your device. The screenshot below shows what the icon looks like. Tap it to start it. Enter your server address/hostname, username and password and tap the "Sign In" button.

Bug Reports
Let's use this thread for bug reports for now. Please do not post bug reports for this beta app in other boards.

Thanks, and enjoy. :)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 08:08:18 pm by John Hughes »
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
Re: Elve Mobile for Android (UPDATE: Ready for Testing)
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 04:58:23 pm »
We have confirmed that the above instructions do work and that the app runs and works on the hardware.

We did notice one issue that we will look into that seems to cause the app to drop back to the settings screen after if nothing has been transmitter or received within 30ish seconds. If you just let the app sit there it can be 60 seconds.

Please let us know if you see the same issue.  I'm wondering if Android turns off the radio if it isn't being used.
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

bpwwer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 05:48:02 pm »
When I try to install it on my Pandigital Android tablet I get a Parse Error - There is a problem parsing the package

It is running a fairly old version of Android - Eclair.

it did load on my Kindle Fire, but I was never able to get past the settings screen other than once when it displayed the touch screen for a couple of seconds before dropping back to the settings screen.

iostream212

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 06:30:54 pm »
Both my tablet and phone couldn't get past the retrieving interface screen. Phone is running ics and tablet running honeycomb. Setting screen looks nice. ::)

Edit:
After I forced closed and restarted I am able at times to have an interface load and display. I could not interact with the interface. It seemed frozen cause my clock time never changed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 09:39:42 pm by iostream212 »
I always wanted to be somebody. In retrospect, I think I should have been more specific.

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
Elve Mobile for Android (UPDATE: Ready for Testing)
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 10:25:51 pm »
Are you guys using high resolution interfaces and were you on your home network?
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

Frunple

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 05:10:22 am »
Just sits at "Retrieving Interface..." on a thunderbolt and a TouchPad. Tried from my LAN and over 4G/3G. Interface made for Thunderbolts screen. TP running ICS, Tbolt running Gingerbread.