Author Topic: Ignore successive executions feature for TS buttons  (Read 2125 times)

Deane Johnson

Ignore successive executions feature for TS buttons
« on: May 28, 2012, 08:19:23 am »
An "ignore successive executions" feature on the buttons for the TS would eliminate some common operational errors.

My experience is with the iPad, but I assume most touchscreens would react much the same.

If there is the slightest sideways movement of the finger when executing a button push, the iPad thinks it's a "move" command rather than a push.  It then becomes desirable to make a second push on the button, but one has to check to see for sure that the command wasn't accomplished before trying a second time.  An "ignore" feature, identical to the one available in Rules, would allow for a several second delay and a chance to touch the button a second time.

The other issue it would help with is a bounce when touching the button.  This is especially a problem when sending an IR signal for a toggle device such as opening the drawing on a DVD player, or turning a projector on/off.  I recently didn't catch a bounce, left the room not realizing it had happened and the projector ran until the next day burning up expensive hours on the bulb.

The "ignore successive executions" in the Rule section has been a life saver for my phone ring Rule, allowing me to implement a 60 second "ignore" after the first ring is registered.   I can visualize TS buttons most often utilizing a 2 to 5 second "ignore".

No doubt the issues I have outlined above are worsened with age, so I'm testing the outer limits on this one. :)

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
Re: Ignore successive executions feature for TS buttons
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 10:59:01 pm »
Interesting issue.

A side effect of this is that it would prevent double clicks from working.

We could ignore successive touch down events however due to the above side effect it may need to be done in a configurable way.

John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

Deane Johnson

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 03:23:12 am »
I thought about the desired double click issue as there are numerous buttons that don't want a lock out time delay.  An example would be DVD player navigation controls.  Another example would be the receiver volume control.

For these reasons, it needs to be a selectable feature just like it is in the Rules setup now.  In that case it's just a check box and a place to set the number of seconds.

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 06:48:26 pm »
This is done and will be available in Elve 2.0.
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies