Author Topic: Insteon Hub 2242-222 support  (Read 2508 times)

Paul Bates

• View Profile
Insteon Hub 2242-222 support
« on: November 29, 2012, 12:14:50 pm »
Smartlabs is releasing this networked insteon hub device that incorporates web and controller functions and is networked based rather than usb or serial. The web configuration of this device seems to bridge the gap of having a way to configure and manage insteon devices (web through the hub) and control and integrate that with x10 and other interfaces in ELVE for automation. It certainly is a bridge point for me to make a migration to ELVE

http://www.insteon.net/2242-222-insteon-hub.html

Is integrating this device being considered

iostream212

• View Profile
Re: Insteon Hub 2242-222 support
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 12:46:06 pm »
What is the difference between this and the ISY 99i series? ISY is already supported in Elve so I don't think this will be a huge priority. What functionality are you looking for?
I always wanted to be somebody. In retrospect, I think I should have been more specific.

Paul Bates

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 04:49:51 pm »
Hi, thanks for responding. My situation is that I am a long time X10 user (who isn't?) that is 80% migrated to Insteon.   I have an HA package that I am looking to move away from and evaluating Elve as one option.

I considered ISY a few years back and didn't given the Insteon management functions that are there in the software I have today.

When thinking about the move, its the Insteon device management functions that get tricky in that discussion. You have a serial (or serial USB) device that owns the PLM(PLC) and either the Smarthome software owns the connection, the ISY or something else.

One way is the ISY. I am familiar with Bob P and his work and I'm very comfortable with him and that. I had looked at ISY when I started down the Insteon path but decided against it primarily for the cost, and the fact that a lot of its program-ability overlaps what HA software does. (Having an Ocelot in the distant past I considered those kinds of tradeoffs).

This new insteon device seems to be half the cost of the ISYs and provides the internet configuration and integration in that cost. No additional software needed. In listening to an experienced developer, it seems the messaging to talk to it is not that different, other than being network based instead of serial com: based. I think its going to be very popular very quickly.  I also have found the "one throat to choke" with smarthome has been valuable when debugging / getting support. (Nothing against the ISY, just one manufacturer is easier to deal with)

If the hub is not going to be on the radar for elve that's good to know.  I have a PLM that's fully configured with all of the devices I have so connecting to ELVE may not be that traumatic in that I could try that during the eval. But any device additions, changes or group updates would be tricky. The new Insteon hub seems to be cleverly fit to this market in addition to those just getting into HA.

Thanks again for responding,
Paul

bpwwer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 06:02:16 pm »
The Smarthome Insteon hub is intriguing.  I've looked at the info on the Smarthome web site but that's not too detailed. 

From what I can gather, it is nothing more than a network PLM.  So you have the same issue.  Either the Smarthome software (now cloud based) owns the connection, something like the ISY does or some other software package does.  At least that's what the quick start guide implies.

Option 2, using non-smarthome software: "Do not use this option if you are using or plan to use the Hub with the INSTEON for Hub app"

I think Elve would fall into that non-smarthome software category.

If it is really just a networked PLM, adding support to Elve's existing Insteon driver should be trivial.  But someone will need to do it. I'm pretty sure it's not currently on any todo lists yet. However, you also wouldn't get any additional capabilities beyond what Elve supports today with the PLM.

I'd really like to see the developers documentation for the hub but it isn't available yet.  I might have to pick one up anyway just to play with it :)

Paul Bates

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 06:52:50 pm »
Thanks Bob, it is intriguing, and I think a little different than that. (I am guessing too from the guide). I think it wants one source of owning the configuration of insteon devices, however interacting, commanding and reading them can be done from the local network connection.

If true, that's where this product is interesting for Elve. Traditionally Elve has left the configuration up to the ISY or using the Insteon software to add and configure devices.

Paul Bates

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 05:10:50 pm »
The homeseer plm plugin has been updated and a version released to integrate the insteon hub.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

bpwwer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 10:51:00 pm »
Hi Paul,

I read the the posts on the HomeSeer forum and it sounds like you may be right in that it can be configured using the SmartHome apps and then controlled by HA software.  One comment that Mark made does raise some concerns. He mentioned that the hub isn't sending asynchronous messages and it must be polled to get device status updates.   Depending on how it has to polled, for large systems it could cause latency problems.  Hopefully SmartHome will provide developers docs and it will have a method to send status messages asynchronously.

Paul Bates

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 08:07:30 pm »
Agreed Bob. His progress to date is encouraging.

Paul Bates

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 07:29:07 pm »
I ordered one, will get it going over the holidays. The math says that polling shouldn't be a problem for me. Most of the heavy lifting on my mesh is done insteon to insteon, the hub will keep the server updated and take care of following up on turning lights and fans off.

bpwwer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 07:35:42 pm »
I ordered one too. Don't know what I'll do with it yet.  Maybe I can get John to send me the source to the Insteon driver and I can modify it to work with the hub.

iostream212

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 07:52:45 am »
Anybody who purchased this like to review it? Also curious to see comparisons vs the isy.
I always wanted to be somebody. In retrospect, I think I should have been more specific.

bpwwer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 10:29:08 am »
I installed it and configured one of SmartHome's IP cameras in the software but that's all I've done so far.  I have't tried adding or controlling any actual Insteon devices with it.

Juan C.

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 10:33:39 am »
IOSTREAM, I got both ISY and HUB, definetly the ISY is stronger, donīt have much detail on the HUB yet, but for the price should be a good option.

Paul Bates

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 05:55:20 pm »
Using the hub, agree with the strength feeling a little less for x10, seems the same for insteon. I ran tests on a plm vs HIV on transmit vs receive speed...really close with a slight advantage receive advantage going to the plm. Having said that, the family never noticed when i swapped the two. (On homeseer)

I like the cloud functions, I get an email when my garage door goes up and down. The free mobile app is cheap, easy and basic way to to control and monitor insteon and x10

It still needs some work before its a full consumer ready product...nerds like me can have fun with it. Hopefully they will work out the kinks in the next few months.

I think this is the way smartlabs is going and support for it here is inevitable.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Paul Bates

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 06:28:03 pm »
Been using the hub exclusively now for several months successfully. Smarthome sent an email this week to arrange for swapping with a new one with the problems addressed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD