Author Topic: Theater control with Elve and global cache  (Read 5330 times)

Walken100

• View Profile
Theater control with Elve and global cache
« on: December 22, 2012, 06:31:04 pm »
Ok, I'm on holiday, bored and playing with my touchscreens....

Here is the touchscreen I created for my theater.  I've been using it for the last 4 months. It's currently based on a Nexus 7 and controls an Epson projector, Yamaha Receiver, LG Blu-ray player, and lights. I have a global cache for IR and a variety of stuff to control lights.  It has replaced a URC RF remote and has worked nearly flawlessly since I started.  In fact it has been more reliable/robust than the URC remote (which was dang good).  It does not currently control my DirecTv but only because it is new I'm not yet bored enough to build/download the IR codes for the remote.

My hindsight is that if I had known how well this would have worked I would have bought the global cache a lot sooner. If you are thinking about using Elve with a global cache.... do it. 

And if you have the DirectTV HD receiver IR codes and a  better blue "disc menu" icon you can send me I'd appreciate it.....

Ok, I've shared.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 06:41:22 pm by Walken100 »
Bart
So tell me again why I have a right half of my brain?

Deane Johnson

Re: Theater control with Elve and global cache
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 07:26:13 pm »
I share your view on the Global Cache.  One fine piece of equipment.

I started with a USB-UIRT because it was simple and cheap.  Nothing but head aches.  Retired it and got a Global Cache and have never had a misfire or issue of any kind since installing it.

I run it into a Xantech distribution block with the proper interface cord and the IR emitters are brighter than I've ever seen them.  My HunterDouglas V. 1.0 PowerRise shades, which don't even work well with the Hunter Douglas remote, work well Global Cache 99.9% of the time.  I just have the emitters laying near the head rail, not even pasted over the receiving eye and the still work well.

As you say, if Global Cache fits into you plans, do it.  You'll never be sorry.

Walken100

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 08:08:11 am »
Ok, I'm going to add an editorial note.  I just added an Securifi Almond Wifi extender to my system to boost the signal to my touchscreen. This is my new favorite piece of electronics. Easy to install and the response speeds of my touchscreen improved dramatically.  Previously I had 1-2 bars on the signal strength indicator and I now have a full indicator. Ir commands are now nearly instant (they were good before) and the delay on waking the screen from a sleep mode or changing between touchscreens was cut in half (was 3-6 seconds, now consistently 2 seconds or less).

I was able to install the thing before finishing a beer during "cocktail hour" with my dad.

I didn't understand how significant the affect of signal strength on on response speed would be with these touchscreens.  Just thought I'd share.
Bart

iostream212

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 10:29:20 pm »
I have 3 GC units and a uirt. The uirt is fairly new to my setup. I use it purely for receiving,  no blasting. For the 6 months that i have been using it i have had no issues. What is the turn off on this unit? I know Elve had some issues with it when the driver was not available in 64 bit, but that has since been resolved (by Elve being changed to 32 bit).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I always wanted to be somebody. In retrospect, I think I should have been more specific.

Walken100

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 11:40:26 pm »
I have 3 GC units and a uirt. The uirt is fairly new to my setup. I use it purely for receiving,  no blasting. For the 6 months that i have been using it i have had no issues. What is the turn off on this unit? I know Elve had some issues with it when the driver was not available in 64 bit, but that has since been resolved (by Elve being changed to 32 bit).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

If you are asking about the global cache then none. Regarding the UIRT, I use one for inputting IR codes into Elve and in works fine.
Bart