Author Topic: How are YOU using rules?  (Read 4554 times)

iostream212

• View Profile
How are YOU using rules?
« on: January 24, 2013, 05:12:37 pm »
What kind of cool rules do you guys have setup? Any that you want to add but haven't done so yet? Looking for comments on interesting, and maybe not so interesting, rules. Does anyone have any thoughts on best practices? Hopefully we can give each other ideas for things we may want to add to our own system one day.
I’ll start:
1.)   I have a volume check rule for my receiver. The different sources usually require different volume levels. Satellite is 35, my PS3 is 50. This rule checks for a source change on the receiver and then sets the volume to 35 (a safe level for any of my sources).
2.)   I have a lot of rules for the backyard to make sure the stereo, lights, and fountains go off at a certain time. The rule varies so the stereo can stay on later on the weekends vs weekdays.
3.)   I have a temperature alert rule where I get a text msg if it gets too hot in my house. One time I took a trip and turned off the air while I was gone during a hot summer day. I forgot to start the system on my way home, and was promptly greeted with an unbearable 89 degrees home when I arrived.
4.)   I have duration rules on all my sprinklers to ensure they don’t run too long.
5.)   I have rules to put reminders on the elk keypad for trash day, lawn day, and greenwaste pickup days.
To do:
I want to add a rule to check connectivity to my Logitech media server. Seems to be disconnecting.
Others???
I always wanted to be somebody. In retrospect, I think I should have been more specific.

Walken100

• View Profile
How are YOU using rules?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 12:20:24 pm »
Most of my rules are pretty basic except one. I set up a rule that within my security logic that checks to see if my kids are home before sending any notices. It looks to see if their phone is in range (bluetooth). If they are then notices aren't sent.  Though the limited range of Bluetooth limits the capability its cool.  :)

Since my oldest got an I phone it is not working due to Bluetooth conflicts. Darn apple.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
Bart
So tell me again why I have a right half of my brain?

iostream212

• View Profile
Re: How are YOU using rules?
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 01:01:01 pm »
That sounds cool. I haven't tried bluetooth yet. What kind of range do you get? I have high hopes for the stick n find: http://www.indiegogo.com/sticknfind?c=activity. It boasts 100 feet range. Hopefully it can work with the BT driver.
I always wanted to be somebody. In retrospect, I think I should have been more specific.

Deane Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 01:20:33 pm »
My use of Rules is pretty basic, but affects our daily life a lot.  Nothing fancy, creative or unusual, but impacts our lives enough to prove that home automation can do a lot to make ones life more pleasant.  One of the great benefits to using Elve is that it is so stable, we never miss anything.  It's always there.  Even if my computer reboots during the night do to a software update, Elve is still on the job.

1.)  A rule that works off sunrise to lower some honeycomb shades to prevent sun from bleaching things.  I spent an entire year logging what time the sun hits the window, as it varies by where it is in relation to trees across the street, etc.  A different time for every day of the year.

2.)  A rule that turns on all of the lighting at 5:00am, which is about when we get up.  Nice to have a lit house upon rising for the day.

3.)  Turns out all of the lights at 9:00PM and sets a hallway light to very dim, about like a nightlight.  Makes getting up for the bathroom in the night much more workable.

4.)  Turns off certain lights 30 minutes after sunrise as they are no longer needed during the day.

5.)  A rule that reacts to our business line ringing (home based business) while we are watching a movie in our front projection theater.  It pauses the movie and turns the light on.  When the theater is not in the ON mode, it doesn't react.

iostream212

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 02:38:19 pm »
I do not have too many lighting rules currently. Do you heavy lighting rule users ever have an issue with lights turning off at the wrong time?  For example I tried a few lighting rules (programs) in ISY, and found  that a lot of times my lights would turn off when I needed them on. And the logic to make them function as I wanted would require too much time coding. I have the lights turn on when it is  night and the garage entry door is opened. The idea was to provide a path of light when I enter from the garage at night. But at the same time if I am already at home, and possibly entertaining guests, and I open the garage entry door to throw the trash, then 5 minutes later my guests and I are sitting in a dark room. How do you guys get around that?

Walken100

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 03:46:49 pm »
That sounds cool. I haven't tried bluetooth yet. What kind of range do you get? I have high hopes for the stick n find: http://www.indiegogo.com/sticknfind?c=activity. It boasts 100 feet range. Hopefully it can work with the BT driver.

About 30 ft.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
Bart

Deane Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 04:07:27 pm »
How do you guys get around that?

Probably in a way most folks on the forum would find distasteful.  I leave them on all the time.

For instance, I have a lower hallway where we enter and it is very dark.  I played around with various triggers, motion sensors and the like, auto turnoff, etc., and found it miserable.  Finally, I unscrewed the 60 watt incandescents and put in CFLs.  They turn on at 5am and off at 9pm.  It works perfect for us.  When LEDs make sense, I'll switch to those.  I need to add that we are home most of the time and in and out a lot with a home based business.  Elve sets the lights to the desired level and they run all day.

I would really like to have LEDs for several reasons, including less heat production, but the time isn't here yet.

Probably if we were in a higher cost of electricity area, I would have to rethink my approach.

Walken100

• View Profile
Re: Re: How are YOU using rules?
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 04:46:56 pm »
How do you guys get around that?

It wasn't that hard for me. I used x10 motion sensors to establish "occupied" status. I then use a simple if-then statement to verify occupancy before acting. I use it for my security mostly but should work with lights.  I would use a different motion sensor if I did it over however.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Bart

iostream212

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 11:49:01 am »
I used x10 motion sensors to establish "occupied" status.

That is something I am missing in my setup, and is most likely the missing link in my my lighting woes. I had the x10 motion a long while back when I was first getting into HA, but I dumped it because of signal issues. It was outdoor and the reliability to my receiver was terrible. That said I like the look of those units better than my current insteon sensors. What has been your reliability experience with the x10 motions? What about battery life?
Thanks!

Walken100

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 06:49:27 pm »
I used x10 motion sensors to establish "occupied" status.

That is something I am missing in my setup, and is most likely the missing link in my my lighting woes. I had the x10 motion a long while back when I was first getting into HA, but I dumped it because of signal issues. It was outdoor and the reliability to my receiver was terrible. That said I like the look of those units better than my current insteon sensors. What has been your reliability experience with the x10 motions? What about battery life?
Thanks!

Sorry, missed this.

I've had a few issues and only one of them I solved (a loose operator screw  :)). However I think the x10 stuff is a little buggy for me. Truthfully it could be my implementation  but I've had problems with false alarms (both positive and negative).  My to do list includes identifying a better sensor/technology because I do like how the logic works. It just needs to be a little more dependable. Battery life was fine.
Bart

RogerMyday

• View Profile
jx05y9y8
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 04:37:23 pm »
https://www.flickr.com/groups/3908266@N24/discuss/72157684964664612/
https://www.flickr.com/groups/3919908@N20/discuss/72157686282186594/
https://bitbucket.org/snippets/reginaldprosser1973r1/8KA5ar/

Feb 23, 2016 Get Free Windows 7 Product Key for your PC part 19 · Free Windows 10 Microsoftkeyoffsale.com/, you will find many CHEAP Microsoft keys..
https://www.flickr.com/groups/3944857@N21/discuss/72157688733202025/
https://bitbucket.org/snippets/jamesszabo1971t2/ayA7p5/
https://www.flickr.com/groups/3949746@N23/discuss/72157686325239133/
https://bitbucket.org/snippets/harveyweinstein1970e8/ayAbG8/

You can apply this update to AutoCAD 2016 running on all supported operating Applies to 3ds Max 2016, Advance Concrete 2016, Advance Steel 2016, Alias Products 2016, Alias SpeedForm 2016, AutoCAD 2016, AutoCAD Architecture AutoCAD is the industry standard software in CAD design. For reasons autodeskdemodownload-2016. Revit, AutoCAD, and 3ds Max Design support Autodesk Official Press Scott Onstott (4 GB recommended) I 2.5 GB free disk space for download and installation (3 GB recommended) I All graphics cards on Autodesk AutoCAD is the industry standard tool for ACE (Architectural, AutoCAD 2016 will be used during hands-on practice.

Jan 16, 2015 Did that shiny, elegant new Macbook make a not-so-tiny dent in your bank account? And it works hand in. appleinsider.com rumors and news on everything apple since 1997. Don't worry, you won't have to burn holes in your pockets how to get paid apps for free macbook pro zAPcK copy of El Capitan on my MacBook Pro Retina (2013 model), and iWorks are no longer free in the App Store, MORE APPS.
http://google.com/q=mkzcokaf