Author Topic: Iviewer  (Read 8908 times)

Aslamma

• View Profile
Iviewer
« on: April 12, 2010, 10:13:31 am »
John,

Don't know how this works, but Jarrod with commandfusion said he likes your product.  You can see how I am using iviewer here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGGdOPOhoBg&feature=youtube

This could be used in the HTPC market I suppose.  Although iviewer is a competitor in some ways, it could also be a compliment and give additional interface options.  But I don't know who could write the interface and that would likely be a sticking point.  Anyway, just wanted to mention this.

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
Re: Iviewer
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 12:44:36 pm »
I'll have to take a look at the overlap in functionality, but we are happy to aid third party developers in creating viewer/control applications for Elve. iViewer is more of a control interface as opposed to a full backend automation solution as I recall?

There are a couple options depending on the iViewer architecture:
1. Create an iViewer driver for Elve that knows how to talk to iViewer.
2. iViewer could use the RESTful web service.
3. iViewer could use the persistant tcp xml protocol.

John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

Aslamma

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 12:54:27 pm »
Yeah I viewer is just a viewer and not does not do
home automation.  It interfaces with amx, crestron, and eventghost currently.  I would think you could use a plugin like eventghost does. 

It would somewhat of a stop gap solution until the elve app was fully debugged and feature rich with things like gestures, etc. (to be in iviewer within weeks).  Otherwise there is a lot of overlap withthe elve native app. 

Where it could work is to allow you to focus on the HA aspects and not have to worry about the iPhone stuff as much.  The iPhone apps seem to be tricky from what I can see having used hstouch, cqc, and j9.   

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 10:36:45 pm »
If you have a contact at iViewer/CommandFusion please have them send me a PM here on the forum and I'd be happy to discuss the possibilities with them.
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

Aslamma

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 09:24:02 am »
Done.

You may also contact Jarrod at http://www.commandfusion.com/support

I have talked to him via Skype before and he has a similar personality (friendly, open to suggestion, forward thinking).  He said he was interested before, but wanted to be careful not to give the appearance of spamming the board. 

CommandFusion

• View Profile
    • CommandFusion
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 10:02:23 am »
PM sent. A driver for handling our built in protocol sounds like the best solution. Our software can handle the XML protocol, but its a lot more work for users (having to define each command manually associated with each button).
Jarrod Bell
CommandFusion
iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad control interface

Aslamma

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 10:34:35 am »
I don't know how anynof that stuff works, but it would be nice if the basic keyboard shortcuts that are sent to medi center could be created beforehand as a sample.  Not sure how that works in elve.   Also, not sure how the press and hold stuff would work in elve either.   

Aslamma

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 08:11:17 pm »
This is all greek to me, but http://www.ukusa.demon.co.uk/iServer/iServer.htm shows a way to connect to HomeSeer, CQC, Premise, etc.  I suppose something like that could work with Elve, but I don't understand the first thing about it.

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 05:02:15 pm »
I have a bare bones iViewer driver working.

The driver currently does the following:
  • Exposes the # of clients connected
  • Exposes a digital event.
  • Exposes an analog event.
  • Exposes a method to send custom messages to the clients.

It does not yet do the following:
  • There are quite a few other events that can be exposed.
  • There is no initialization of the screen. So when iViewer connects the screen values are not updated.  My assumption is that we will need some kind of map for this.  Ie, d1 would need to map to an Elve device property.  Unfortunately this will be a lot of work to add a user interface to the driver to do the mapping. :(
John
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
Regarding Events
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 05:20:40 pm »
I need some suggestions on event names.

In Elve event names are usually something like Temperature Changed, Data Received, Key Pressed.

I'm not familiar enough with the iViewer world to really know what to call digital join message... such as when the server receives a d1=1 message.

I did add Client Connected and Client Disconnected events which are named appropriately.

Any suggestions on digital, analog, serial, etc messages would be appreciated.

For example would "Digital Join Received" be a good event name or is that terminology not really accurate?

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 05:22:43 pm by John Hughes »
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 05:41:05 pm »
Another thing to consider will be dynamic images.  It looks like images are set using an image path which means that there would need to be a map between device property values and the image path to send when the device property changes.
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

Aslamma

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 05:49:22 pm »
This is what it looks  like in eventghost.  Most of what you are saying is over my head.  In here, you use the command such as "commandfusion.digitalrelease_26" and 26 is linked to the button in the commandfusion gui deisgner.  The keystrokes control the HTPC media center via keyboard shortcuts. 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 05:51:32 pm by Aslamma »

Aslamma

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 05:55:31 pm »
This just shows how I link the batch file to an Elve command for iTunes control.

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2010, 08:52:23 pm »
From what I have been able to dig up from the web, the most common events are:
  Digital Press
  Digital Release
  Analog Change

So I have tweaked the driver to be consistent with these.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 09:29:38 pm by John Hughes »
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

Aslamma

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2010, 09:47:34 pm »
There is a serial join as well, but I have not used either the serial or analog, just the digital joins as shown.  Confusing to me after that.