Author Topic: Denon AVR Driver  (Read 17193 times)

kiros

• View Profile
Denon AVR Driver
« on: May 05, 2010, 05:50:25 pm »
Updated to version 0.2. Added support for retrieving all 3 zone volume levels in text format "-10.5dB". Adjusted volume inputs to convert from odd Denon format to a more slider friendly 0-99 with 0 being MIN and 99 being MAX.

Here is a beta version of a Denon AVR driver. This driver supports both serial connections and if your model supports it network connections. This is based upon Brad Ridgway's Onkyo receiver driver, with many changes to support the Denon protocol. There is one Denon protocol, but different receivers support different functionality (sources, surround modes, iPod, XM etc.). This driver is based upon the AVR 4306, which means other models may have less or more features. Brad thoughtfully added a 'Send Raw Command', which I have also supported, which might help with non-AVR 4306 models.

I have tested the network support, but not the RS232 connection. I would be interested in any feedback.

Kerry

*** Version 0.2 beta attached

« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 04:39:17 am by kiros »

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
Re: Denon AVR Driver
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 06:53:25 pm »
kiros, please send me the source code for the StartDriver() method and I can tell you if the ip dual tcp/serial support looks good. I have a Denon unit here but I don't think it supports serial.
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

kiros

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 07:21:30 pm »
I sent you a PM John.

Kiros

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 08:45:30 pm »
I took a look at you StartDriver() method and and your handling of the dual tcp/serial support looks correct so as long as the protocol is identical the serial connection should work.
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

kiros

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 05:12:10 am »
Thanks John.

Kerry

hdjii

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 05:46:21 pm »
I downloaded the file, unzipped the driver and added it to the Elve program folder. I do not see it as available for selection as a device in Elve Management Studio (v0.21.3.0). What am I missing?

Howard

kiros

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 09:53:39 pm »
I downloaded the file, unzipped the driver and added it to the Elve program folder. I do not see it as available for selection as a device in Elve Management Studio (v0.21.3.0). What am I missing?

Howard

Howard, did you put it in a 'Drivers' folder in the Elve folder? That is where beta drivers need to be to be loaded by Elve.

Kiros

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 10:13:33 pm »
You also need to restart all the Elve services using the Windows Services Administration tool... or reboot.
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

hdjii

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 09:50:19 am »
I created a "Drivers" folder in the Elve folder, put the Denon driver there and restarted all four services, but I still could not access the Denon driver. A reboot did not change anything. I also tried putting the driver in the Elve folder where the other drivers (including the Commandfusion driver) are located. Again a reboot with the driver in that location did not solve the problem. Do you have any other ideas?

Howard

kiros

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 10:35:03 am »
I created a "Drivers" folder in the Elve folder, put the Denon driver there and restarted all four services, but I still could not access the Denon driver. A reboot did not change anything. I also tried putting the driver in the Elve folder where the other drivers (including the Commandfusion driver) are located. Again a reboot with the driver in that location did not solve the problem. Do you have any other ideas?

Howard

To make sure we are talking about the same directory path, you should have - "c:\Program Files\Elve\Drivers\DenonAVR.dll"

Under Elve management studio it should show up when you click on "New Device". In the 'Select a Driver' dialog box there will be a "Denon Receiver" driver name under the "A/V Receiver" category. Let me know if that is not the case. Thanks Howard.

Kerry

hdjii

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 11:34:52 am »
That is the directory path I established:  "C:\Program Files\Elve\Drivers\DenonAVR.dll". When I click on new device in the Mgt Studio application, I see the bundled drivers including the CF driver, but I do not see the Denon driver. Weird.

Just for grins, I added the Onkyo driver which then appears as the only driver in the A/V Receiver category.

I think I will uninstall and reinstall the Elve applications and see if that helps.

Howard

kiros

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 03:31:57 pm »
That is the directory path I established:  "C:\Program Files\Elve\Drivers\DenonAVR.dll". When I click on new device in the Mgt Studio application, I see the bundled drivers including the CF driver, but I do not see the Denon driver. Weird.

Just for grins, I added the Onkyo driver which then appears as the only driver in the A/V Receiver category.

I think I will uninstall and reinstall the Elve applications and see if that helps.

Howard

Howard, please download the latest release, it looks like you were using v0.21.3.0 and this driver was written for v0.22. Let me know if that fixes your issue or not. Thanks.

Kerry

hdjii

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 07:17:35 pm »
That did it. I am now able to control the AVR via the serial connection. Thanks for the help.

Howard

kiros

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 08:35:11 am »
Howard, how is it working? Is everything functioning the way you expect it to? Thanks.

Kerry

hdjii

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 11:28:42 am »
The Denon driver is working well. Thanks for sharing.

I have been using the CommandFusion iViewer demo on my iPod Touch to control the Denon 3805 AVR via the serial port and to display volume information on the iPod. (The feedback of status information from the AVR is a critical requirement for me.) While I have not verified all the functions of the Denon driver, I have not experienced any problems so far. I plan to set up the selection and display of inputs next.

I will keep you updated as I continue the setup. If I can support you in any way, please let me know.

I hope someone is working on a driver for Directv receivers. That is the other device I am most interested in controlling. In the meantime,  I have used the Elve generic serial driver to create a few commands for my HR21 Directv receiver and this works well. It is amazing how fast the receiver responds to serial commands. I have been using RF/IR with an URC MX-800 and MRF-200 Base Station. In addition to being much faster, the reliability of the serial interface is significantly better also. Feedback from the DTV receiver would be nice, but is not as important as from the Denon AVR.

Howard