Author Topic: Universal Devices ISY driver  (Read 24300 times)

bpwwer

• View Profile
Universal Devices ISY driver
« on: May 09, 2010, 08:49:00 am »
An updated alpha version of a driver that supports the Universal Devices Inc. ISY controller is available now.

New in this version is an installer that properly installs the driver and the ability to save the mappings between the ISY device and the Elve device numbers.

This version includes support for lighting devices, thermostats, and the weatherbug module.  Incoming messages from the ISY can be used inside rules to trigger other actions.

The install package is available from my web site at http://www.bobsplace.com/ISYDriver/

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
Re: Universal Devices ISY driver
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 11:17:43 pm »
Bob, I downloaded the ISY driver today. When I ran the msi file it indicated that a different home automation product was not installed and that it could not continue.

You should change the literal to "Elve" and it looks like your Elve detection logic isn't working so there is no way to install the driver.

Thanks.
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

bpwwer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 08:02:16 am »
Bob, I downloaded the ISY driver today. When I ran the msi file it indicated that a different home automation product was not installed and that it could not continue.

You should change the literal to "Elve" and it looks like your Elve detection logic isn't working so there is no way to install the driver.

Thanks.

Thanks for the feedback John!

I had a lot of problems getting the installer to work at all and ended up used a working installer project to start from.  I thought I had everything changed, but I guess not. I'll get that fixed.  A lot of the problems seem to stem form Microsoft's inability to properly deal with network drives in VS8.  If the project is located on a network driver, it won't work at all but simply moving it the C drive and it starts working. 

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 08:18:07 am »
No problem. I also added your driver to the Supported Devices page with a link to your web site. Please let me know if this is acceptable.
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

bpwwer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 03:22:58 pm »
Thanks John,

That's great that it is listed there.  I guess that means I better fix the installer quickly in case someone actually wants to use it.  .

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 01:00:28 am »
I did have a user asking about it this past weekend. ;)
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

bpwwer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 07:47:55 am »
I did go through the installer and I think I found what was causing the problem and have it fixed now. The updated package should be on my web site.  One of the features of the installer project I started from was that it would try to determine the correct path to install based on a registry entry.  Is there, or will there be, a registry entry for Elve that defines either where Elve is installed or where drivers should be installed?

xlurkr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 10:17:14 am »
Is there a version of this driver compatible with v1.1 of Elve?  One planned?

I tried to ask over at the developer's website, but the email bounced.

-Tom

bpwwer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 10:33:27 am »
Hi Tom,

The latest version of the driver, 0.1.16 should work fine with version 1.1.  It's posted here:  http://www.bobsplace.com/ISYDriver/ I haven't yet updated it to work with the 1.2 betas. 

Let me know what you think of the driver.  It's still a work in progress so suggestions are welcome.

What email address bounced?   I have seen issues with my provider throttling incoming email because it's getting so much spam.

xlurkr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 12:50:30 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply, Bob. I'll give it a spin.

The address I tried is, as you put it, ISYDriver at bobsplace dot com.

-Tom

bpwwer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 01:23:19 pm »
Thanks Tom,

There was a problem with that email address. It should be fixed now. Thanks for letting me know.

I also updated the driver to work with the 1.2 betas, I suspect they aren't backwards compatible so use 0.1.16 for 1.1 and 0.1.18 for 1.2 betas.  There's no feature differences between the two.

xlurkr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 01:49:13 pm »
Too late.  I am in serious rhubarb at this point.

I installed 0.1.18, and without stopping the Elve services.  Since then I have uninstalled and reinstalled both versions several times with the services off and rebooted several times.  I currently have 0.1.16 installed.  Nothing ISY or UD-related is showing up in the list when I try to install a new device.  There is a dll in the correct ProgramData directory.

-Tom

bpwwer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 03:32:16 pm »
Too late.  I am in serious rhubarb at this point.

I installed 0.1.18, and without stopping the Elve services.  Since then I have uninstalled and reinstalled both versions several times with the services off and rebooted several times.  I currently have 0.1.16 installed.  Nothing ISY or UD-related is showing up in the list when I try to install a new device.  There is a dll in the correct ProgramData directory.

-Tom

It shouldn't be too hard to figure out what's happening.  All the installer does is copy the file to the proper place.  At least that's all it's suppose to do.  Are you using XP or Win7?  I believe the locations are different and I'm still working with XP.

The driver is called BMEISY.dll So make sure that's in the ....\Elve\DeviceDrivers\Compiled folder. 

When you start Elve (or at least start the driver service) it should log something about the driver.

I get this in the log:
Code: [Select]
Found 3rd Party Driver plug-in: Dsiplay Name: ISY Driver, type: 'ISYDriver.ISY99Driver',
Location: 'c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Codecore Technologies\Elve\DeviceDrivers\Compiled\BMEISY.dll,
Assembly Full Name 'BMEISY, Version=1.0.1.8,

You should see something like that or an error when it tries to detect the driver.  If you see an error, can you post it?

Once it's loaded, it should show up in the device selector as "ISY Driver      General Automation Controller"

xlurkr

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 03:47:16 pm »
Bob:

In the log, I get this message:

Failed to get the types in the assembly 'BMEISY, Version=1.0.1.6, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null', path 'C:\ProgramData\Codecore Technologies\Elve\DeviceDrivers\Compiled\BMEISY.dll'. ReflectionTypeLoadException: Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information.

Let me know if you want any more of the log contents.

-Tom

bpwwer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 04:20:15 pm »
Tom,

I see that message when there's a mismatch between the version the driver was compiled for and the running version of Elve.  Can you verify the version of Elve that you are running?

It's possible that 0.1.16 was built for a pre-1.1 version of Elve and that 0.1.17 (which I never published) was what I was running on version 1.1.

I'm uploading 0.1.17 to my web site now and I made sure that this does work with Elve 1.1