Author Topic: Forwarding Port 33907 - Secure?  (Read 855 times)

iostream212

• View Profile
Forwarding Port 33907 - Secure?
« on: October 23, 2013, 04:32:50 pm »
Anyone know if there are any security concerns to forwarding port 33907 outside your lan? I had been doing it for a while to run elve mobile when away from home. Then I got a new router that supported PPTP VPN so I switched to that. But now its getting old going to phone settings, selecting vpn, clicking connect, waiting to connect, etc... to do something quick in mobile, like open the garage door. So now I am thinking about going back, but was wondering about security. Any thoughts?
I always wanted to be somebody. In retrospect, I think I should have been more specific.

Frunple

• View Profile
Re: Forwarding Port 33907 - Secure?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 04:38:31 pm »
Well it's definitely more secure than a PPTP VPN. It's been proven that PPTP is completely unsecure and should be considered unencrypted.
With that said, anytime you open a port there is a security "concern" but the alternative is to never open anything. Even opening a VPN port is a vulnerability so it comes down to either taking the chance or not.
I tend to go through spurts of opening ports, then a little while later I go back and start closing them but I always end up with the same ports being left open for 'my' convenience. One of them is 33907 of course.

iostream212

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 04:52:13 pm »
I didn't know that about PPTP! :( I saw 'VPN' and assumed safe. Grrrr.... Yes the old convenience vs safety debacle. Thanks for the info.
I always wanted to be somebody. In retrospect, I think I should have been more specific.

iostream212

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 01:59:54 am »
Switched over to a zyxel security appliance. The amount of control over my network is amazing, but the learning curve was steep. Has nice content blocking and filtering as well, which makes me feel good for the kids. The only thing I have yet to figure out is how to use my WAN address from within my LAN. Probably a NAT issue or a firewall issue. Just need to turn off my phone WiFi when accessing Elve at home for the time being.

Frunple

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 05:56:28 am »
They call it "NAT Loopback". Most others call it NAT redirection or NAT reflection. You just need to turn it on. Not sure if this will work with the model you have but give it a try.
Telnet to the router and enter your administrative password
Go to Menu 24
Go to Menu 8
On the command prompt, type “ip nat loopback on”
Type “exit”
Go to Menu 99

iostream212

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 04:14:51 pm »
Wow man, thank you for the help and detailed explanation. Got it working and learned something new!  :)