Author Topic: Re: The future of Elve  (Read 38951 times)

iostream212

• View Profile
Re: The future of Elve
« on: January 05, 2014, 03:56:56 pm »
In response to the official press release, I cast my vote for open sourcing it. May it continue to grow in the capable hands of those who love it. Good luck John in your future endeavors and thank you for the wonderful ride. I have the utmost respect for you and the work you have done here.
I always wanted to be somebody. In retrospect, I think I should have been more specific.

elehuy

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 04:38:05 pm »
I also think open source is a nice option.
CodeCore might be dead but Elve could go on.

bpwwer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 05:49:54 pm »
It's unfortunate that John doesn't have to the time to continue development of Elve.  Of all the systems I've used, I found it to be the easiest to create drivers for and the GUI designer is one of the best. 

Open sourcing would be one way to keep Elve alive. I'm sure there's enough of us here that would be willing to dedicate some time to maintaining it.

Another option would be release the code for community development but keep a non-open source license on it.  That way no one else could legally take the code and try and profit from it.

I'm personally curious what the 2.0 beta needs to be considered a gold release.

Automate

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 07:49:28 pm »
As a developer of http://www.opensourceautomation.com, which is also built on .NET, I sure would like to see the code opened.  If nothing else, we could use the code from many of the drivers to create more plugins for Open Source Automation.

samgreco

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 09:10:01 pm »
I for one would love to see this go Open Source.  I think that home automation is still such a small market niche, that it is almost impossible to make a living on it's software.  But there is so much talent out there doing HA, that a real quality base like this could go a very long way.  And as Automate posted, it could be great to combine it with other OSS stuff already out there.

peadard

• View Profile
    • Mseries
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 08:55:59 pm »
+1 for open Source.
I am really dissapointed to see Elve finish. I have been using it for a number of years and found it to be without equal. I am a bit concerned as I use it at work to control a number of Elk M1 units and now I have no way of resetting the licence should something happen. Maybe it is time to allow existing users to reset their own Licences??

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 09:23:17 pm »
+1 for open Source.
I am really dissapointed to see Elve finish. I have been using it for a number of years and found it to be without equal. I am a bit concerned as I use it at work to control a number of Elk M1 units and now I have no way of resetting the licence should something happen. Maybe it is time to allow existing users to reset their own Licences??
The licensing servers are still operating and will continue to do so until the next phase of Elve begins. Regardless of what direction Elve takes, existing customers will not be immediately stranded and a graceful transition will be attempted.
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

peadard

• View Profile
    • Mseries
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 09:41:10 pm »
Great to hear John.
Thank you for replying.

superjer2000

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 07:38:04 pm »
John, just a quick note to comment in how talented you are and what a great product Elve is. It's too bad it didn't turn out to be your path to riches as it truly is the best from what I have seen.

iostream212

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 10:00:43 am »
+1 superjer2000,
I just got done checking out the 'competition', and there is no competition. Elve is in a league of its own. What can we do to keep this alive? Lets start a fundraiser to save it! I pledge $1000.
I always wanted to be somebody. In retrospect, I think I should have been more specific.

bpwwer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 11:17:24 am »
Agree with Elve being the best.  I posted over on Cocoontech why I won't be switching any time soon.

I think there's only a few things that really need to happen to keep Elve alive:

1) New user's need a way to install and run it. Ideally this would be a 2.0 version without the need for a license key.

2) A driver repository of some sort.  I'd be willing to host one if it's not possible to set something up here.  It could be as simple as a list of developer name/email and a link to the driver source/binary on github or something similar.

3) This forum needs to continue and provide support to new users.  iostream212 has been providing more help than anyone (other than John). The rest of us need to be more proactive here.

To offset the cost of the domain/hosting, John could accept donations. 

Deane Johnson

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 03:58:42 pm »
I'm sure John is gathering his thoughts on these suggestions.  It may be that he wants to be totally out of it, including the forum.  Only time will tell.

I share the view that there is no good alternative to Elve.  John created an excellent concept for home automation software and it's a crime to have it disappear.

I'm going to hang in there until the end in hopes someone or something comes along to take it over and continue the development.

I agree that it's necessary that users, especially those with skills and suggestions, get on the forum and participate.  It's a perfect time for the "community" to become more active.

peadard

• View Profile
    • Mseries
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 01:21:46 pm »
I agree guys, I for one will try to become more active and will try to put some new posts do people can see what is possible with this software.
Also mabye if we opened up the user showcase to the public it would attract more interest?

samgreco

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 03:34:21 pm »
Is the Beta, that now has no expiration, fully functional?  It wouldn't let me export saying I didn't have a license.  But if it is otherwise functional, it would be worth playing with.

superjer2000

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 08:23:26 am »
I am more than happy to help out on the forums as well and also to provide a donation to keep the forums active.