Author Topic: Re: The future of Elve  (Read 18267 times)

broconne

• View Profile
Re: The future of Elve
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2014, 06:48:44 pm »
Another vote for open source..

Would be great if someone wanted to buy it and carry it forward commercially, but if that doesn't happen, at least John's work could live on in the community.

peadard

• View Profile
    • Mseries
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 02:02:31 pm »
+1 for open Source.
I am really dissapointed to see Elve finish. I have been using it for a number of years and found it to be without equal. I am a bit concerned as I use it at work to control a number of Elk M1 units and now I have no way of resetting the licence should something happen. Maybe it is time to allow existing users to reset their own Licences??
The licensing servers are still operating and will continue to do so until the next phase of Elve begins. Regardless of what direction Elve takes, existing customers will not be immediately stranded and a graceful transition will be attempted.

John.
 I emailed you on the 15th Jan to reset my commercial license and have sent you follow up emails and PM but have heard nothing.
Can you please reset it as per the details I have sent you. This looks very bad for the future of Elve. I reiterate as per my previous post, mabye it is time to allow commercial customers to reset their licenses. My License now has 19 days left and is responsible for fire alarms in a school so I cannot allow it to expire.
I look forward to your reply.

dvand

• View Profile
Re: Re: The future of Elve
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2014, 10:22:27 am »
Any progress?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

peadard

• View Profile
    • Mseries
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2014, 06:10:02 pm »
I presume Elve is dead in the water. I never recieved any replies regarding my commercial license reset (despite emailing almost every day) and it expired forcing me to look elsewhere.

bpwwer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2014, 10:49:58 am »
I presume Elve is dead in the water. I never recieved any replies regarding my commercial license reset (despite emailing almost every day) and it expired forcing me to look elsewhere.

That's not good.   I know you put a lot of effort into the creating your system based on Elve and it won't be easy to transition that to something else.   Let us know what you end up moving to.  I've worked with other HA systems and if there's anything you need help with, let me know.

peadard

• View Profile
    • Mseries
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2014, 04:36:10 pm »

That's not good.   I know you put a lot of effort into the creating your system based on Elve and it won't be easy to transition that to something else.   Let us know what you end up moving to.  I've worked with other HA systems and if there's anything you need help with, let me know.
Thanks mate, will do it looks like it may be CQC for me

bpwwer

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2014, 04:57:50 pm »

Thanks mate, will do it looks like it may be CQC for me

That's one HA package I haven't really used  other than playing with a trial a few years back. I've heard lots of good things about CQC and it seems well supported.

Frunple

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2014, 09:01:23 am »
John,
Let's get this thing open sourced so we can move forward with the development of Elve!!
We've been waiting patiently for a long time now.

iolaus

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2014, 09:36:25 am »
I'd also like to request that Elve be open-sourced.  I have a driver for Xantech Digi-5 that I've completed and a couple more that are in the works.  Additionally, I'd certainly be willing to spend some time contributing code to the base product.  I think Elve still has a ton to offer and could flourish as a community project.  I also think it would be worthwhile to experiment with Elve running on linux under Mono which could massively increase its user base should it be open-sourced.

Frunple

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2014, 03:54:16 pm »
Anxiously awaiting some news!!

Automate

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2014, 12:28:05 pm »
Did you ever hear anything from John?

peadard

• View Profile
    • Mseries
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2014, 01:01:33 pm »

Did you ever hear anything from John?

I did actually hear from John a few months later and he reset the license, he said he was still looking into the options for the future of Elve. I don't have any more info unfortunately,

iostream212

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2014, 01:14:10 pm »
I can't transition to CQC. I really want to love it, but just can't. What else is out there? I'll hang on to hope that John will eventually transition control out, and leave the product with the capable hands of the community that cares for it so much.
I always wanted to be somebody. In retrospect, I think I should have been more specific.

Automate

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2014, 04:10:36 am »
Great news about Elve 2.1.

John, hopefully you can open source at least the driver code to everyone.  I think this would be a good way to promote a strong community of developers.

Frunple

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2014, 05:38:13 am »
Finally!!!
Good news!