Author Topic: Re: The future of Elve  (Read 36915 times)

bpwwer

• View Profile
Re: The future of Elve
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2014, 08:14:36 am »
Good news for us users!

I know John put a huge amount of effort into making this product and I just want to thank him for allowing us to continue using it.

hdjii

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2014, 09:55:52 am »
I am happy to learn that Elve will continue. I have used it for more than three years for control of home theater components. Thanks, John.

Howard Johnson

superjer2000

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2014, 08:26:12 pm »
This is great news!  The only issue I would have is whether to upgrade to 2.1.  I am still running 1.5 and it is ROCK SOLID (with the exception of the email driver which hiccups every so often).

The fact that Elve wasn't a viable business is really too bad as it is an absolutely incredible piece of software.  Each time I use it to create something interesting, I am astonished that I haven't been able to exceed its limitations.

Automate

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2014, 06:30:46 am »
@John,  I consider a forum and a Wiki two essential tools for good community support.  Obviously this forum contains a lot of good information the community needs.  Are you planning to continue this forum and maybe add a Wiki or is that something the community will need to provide?

broconne

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2014, 09:19:15 am »
This is awesome news.  I look forward to the next phase of Elve.  Hopefully parts are open sourced so it can evolve.  I know I would like to help expand the HAI driver.

Work2Play

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2014, 10:56:28 am »
I just want to say Thank You John for keeping Elve alive.  I bought a license for HomeSeer after the news of the change and every time I tried to use it, I hated it in comparison to Elve.  I'm glad to see that Elve will stay alive - and I'm excited about the upgrade and the potential for continued development.

iolaus

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2014, 09:28:58 pm »
Sorry to be so late to the party but I also wanted to express my sincere thanks to John for all of his incredible work on Elve.  I very much look forward to the future of the project and to contributing in any way that I can.

kova4

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2014, 10:03:03 am »
Hey - been a long time user of Elve, and just upgraded to 2.1 but am unsure still of what the future holds.  What was changed in the 2.1 or the 2.2 version for that matter - what is the status of the open source? For the main code as well as the driver code? Iostream212 you seem to be the main point of contact here and seem to still have a vested interest in the product -can we gather a few of us to propose a purchase to John or even some kind of management contract?  I agree CQC blows and I really like the way John structured the system -

I truly see a future for the system and for the industry - I don't know if you've visited Best Buy lately but they now have a whole section dedicated to Home automation.  Just my 2 cents but as a to do - maybe we could start a new post of people who would be willing to have a conference call to discuss this - and to take this to the next level - 

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2015, 09:21:37 pm »
... pondering open sourcing portions of the code at this point. I just don't have the time to make it completely open source compliant. :/
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

iolaus

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2015, 09:59:41 pm »
... pondering open sourcing portions of the code at this point. I just don't have the time to make it completely open source compliant. :/

Let me know if I can help at all.  I've got a good bit of experience setting up projects on GitHub now and would be happy to help migrate everything.

In terms of compliance, what is it that you're worried about?  Does Elve currently utilize some proprietary libraries?  If so, perhaps we could factor the integration points out into interfaces and allow the community to rebuild the missing functionality.

iolaus

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2016, 09:47:35 pm »
Hey John,

Just another plea to please consider open-sourcing Elve.  It is still a great tool and I would love to see it get the care it deserves.  I'd be happy to take on the job of deploying the source to GitHub (and removing any 3rd-party libraries if necessary).