Author Topic: What's next?  (Read 1685 times)

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
What's next?
« on: September 11, 2016, 05:49:32 pm »
All,

As you are aware, development on the Elve platform has been in hibernation for some time due to competing priorities. I am flattered by the emails I still receive about moving development forward, open sourcing and other product venture ideas. As honored as I am, my availability just doesn't permit me to be as effective as I would like in even coordinating an effort to take the next steps.

I'm certainly open to discussion on a collaborative effort on moving to next steps but I would need to take a mostly hands off approach.

Thanks so much for your support!

John
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

bpwwer

• View Profile
Re: What's next?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 08:33:25 am »
Hi John,

John,

Thanks for posting an update.  I know there are still a few of us that continue to use Elve and would be happy to help in any way that we can.  If you have some idea on what you would like the next steps to be, please let us know. I'm pretty sure someone here can help with the coordination and execution of those steps.

I too, have had changes in priorities in recent years and no longer have as much time to devote to HA development activities, however, Elve has continued to work flawlessly and thus, I'll keep using for as long as possible.

Bob

All,

As you are aware, development on the Elve platform has been in hibernation for some time due to competing priorities. I am flattered by the emails I still receive about moving development forward, open sourcing and other product venture ideas. As honored as I am, my availability just doesn't permit me to be as effective as I would like in even coordinating an effort to take the next steps.

I'm certainly open to discussion on a collaborative effort on moving to next steps but I would need to take a mostly hands off approach.

John

Rickerdo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 09:22:05 am »
John,

With all due respect, what is there to discuss? Release the code to the community and it will continue to live like evey other open source project. GitHub.com!

All,

John

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 07:06:28 pm »
An analysis of the code and various open source licenses would need to take place to ensure there are not conflicts with open source licenses.

Additionally I think a few drivers which require 3rd party installations would need to be removed... possibly just JR Media Center  Active Home SDK.

Modifications might also be needed to get it to compile in more recent versions of visual studio and .net libraries.

Releasing the source could also expose any "potential" security vulnerabilities.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 07:22:51 pm by John Hughes »
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

bpwwer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 11:01:25 am »
John,

None of those issue sound terribly difficult when looked at individually. Reviewing the licensing is obviously time consuming so possibly a small group of us could split the work and take that off your plate.  All we'd need is the open source license (or licenses) that you'd be comfortable with and access to the source.   Github does allow for private repositories (although that does have a monthly cost) where you could control who has access.  I'm not sure if there are other similar hosting services, maybe someone else has a suggestion.  I'd be willing to host a git repository with limited access if need be.

Updating to support newer Visual Studio is something that could happen after the code is released.  Current build requirements are good whatever they are.

One of the advantages of open source is the ability for more people to review and fix security issues if they exist.  Right now anyone using Elve is vulnerable to any security issues with no recourse to get them fixed.

I can understand your reluctance to hand over any control of something you put so much effort into. I'd feel the same way. 

Bob

An analysis of the code and various open source licenses would need to take place to ensure there are not conflicts with open source licenses.

Additionally I think a few drivers which require 3rd party installations would need to be removed... possibly just JR Media Center  Active Home SDK.

Modifications might also be needed to get it to compile in more recent versions of visual studio and .net libraries.

Releasing the source could also expose any "potential" security vulnerabilities.

peadard

• View Profile
    • Mseries
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 02:07:51 am »
Nicely said Bob, I agree with you in all aspects.
Would be great to get the IOS app up and running again also as it is a huge part of the system.

BracketNova

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 12:19:31 am »
Agreed, I have iPads that I won't update as a result of this.

hdjii

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 03:59:44 pm »
I miss the IOS app also. I have continued to use Elve on my desktop computer (gratified that it still works with W10.

Howard