Author Topic: XML gateway - more details (and questions)  (Read 2382 times)

diginerve

• View Profile
XML gateway - more details (and questions)
« on: July 07, 2010, 04:19:00 am »
Right,

The more i read the more intrigued i am getting. I just read some of the XML document, and it appears to me that this interface should allow me to get and set just about everything from the engine. which would then allow for an interface to be build ontop of this...

the question would arise then for things like staus updates, if a light was triggered will an XML message be sent?
If the device is itunes or squeeze box, can i get a list of all albums for example, and from their the metadata associated, such as art, genre, etc. and can i query back on the xml interface to request all albums from 2010 with genre of soft rock for example?

-d

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
Re: XML gateway - more details (and questions)
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 05:01:47 pm »
Yes you could build an interface on top using one of the protocols.

For status updates, see the very bottom of the TCP XML Communication Protocol documentation. "Device Property Value Change Notifications".  This only applies to device properties which are decorated with the SupportsPropertyBinding attribute, which is most of them. If you wanted to detect the status change of EVERY property you would need to poll using the getdevicestate message.

There is an iTunes media library driver as well as a filesystem media library driver but the squeezebox driver does not yet support that.  The media libraries do not currently support requesting library information through the scripting language or xml protocol, but that would be easy to add since that's how the touch screen viewer app gets it.
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies