Author Topic: Curious how Elve handles multple X-10 Actin in a single Rule  (Read 971 times)

Deane Johnson

Curious how Elve handles multple X-10 Actin in a single Rule
« on: August 10, 2010, 06:22:43 pm »
Since X-10 Commands takes a certain amount of time to execute, I'm curious as to how Elve handles 4 or 5 X-10 Actions in a row in the same Rule.  Does it queue them, does it slow down for them, or what.  Is is possible they could collide?  Can they effect the execution of other Actions.  Should Actions in Rules be listed in any particular order to be more reliable?

Thanks

Deane

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
Re: Curious how Elve handles multple X-10 Actin in a single Rule
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 06:41:28 pm »
It depends on which driver you are using.  I happen to know you are using the ACT TI103 driver... The ACT controller "supposedly" takes care of that for you unless you are sending a large number of commands which might overflow the hardware buffer.  The driver also ensures a minimum 1/4 second delay between each send.  Unless you are doing lots of dim/brights, sending 4 or 5 consecutive commands should be fine.  Technically speaking the driver queues the command (asynchronously) and sends them as soon as it can based on the 1/4 delay.  The ACT hardware also queues commands and sends them as soon as it can. The order of actions should not make a difference.

According to O'Reilly's "Introduction to X10 Home Automation Technology" book/article, "X10 devices send about one command per second".

Ideally you "the user" would not need to worry about this. If you see any issues please let me know and I will increase the minimum amount of delay between each sent command.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 06:43:26 pm by John Hughes »
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies