Author Topic: Add a "Clear Log" function  (Read 1953 times)

DaveB

• View Profile
Add a "Clear Log" function
« on: August 14, 2010, 05:52:09 pm »
In a recent process of attempting to capture an error being produced by a very active driver (HAI), is became very difficult to capture the correct time and space due to the overall size of the log file.  I could not load the complete log as it overflowed the memory space and I received an error. 

You should implement an easy button control on the log panel to clear the log file. 
Thanks!
Dave

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
Re: Add a "Clear Log" function
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 09:42:26 pm »
You can just press the Now button in the window to filter out anything before now... which effectively makes it appear as though the log is cleared.
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

DaveB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 05:35:51 am »
Agreed.  Just thought it would be nice to have the ability to clear the file.  As an alternate, you could set up an auto archive routine in that the system creates a new log file each night at 12.  Set a variable to tell the system how many days of logs it should retain.   It would be nice to review the logs on a per day basis.  Great for diagnostics.  SO in that case, let me change my request... ;)
Thanks!
Dave

mustangcoupe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 07:09:02 am »
I cant find it right now but I thought there was a way of doing a clear log via script

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 07:35:29 am »
You have to delete the  log file.
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 10:47:29 am »
At this time we are trying to avoid the need to clear the log, as the use of the date/time filter can be used, and the new "Now" button can be used to preset the start date/time.

If the above does not satisfy your needs/requirements please let us know why and we will try to address the issue.

As an alternative you can delete the log file which effectively clears the log.  This is not guaranteed to be supported for the life of Elve (for example if the logging infrastructure is changed in the future).

* Windows Vista & 7 path example: C:\ProgramData\Codecore Technologies\Elve\Log.data
* Windows XP path example: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Codecore Technologies\Elve\Log.data
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies