Author Topic: Need momentary switch contact to operate shades.  (Read 604 times)

Deane Johnson

• View Profile
Need momentary switch contact to operate shades.
« on: August 23, 2010, 10:18:19 am »
I have added a Hunter Douglas PowerRise shade to my home theater setup that blocks off light from a hallway.  Hunter has a Connection Interface that uses momentary switch contact to operate the shade either up or down.  What they do is simply short the ground to one of two terminals, "up" or "down".  Their diagram shows a single pole, double throw momentary pair of push buttons.  In reality, so long as the contact is made between ground and an appropriate terminal, it's off and running.  The stop is built into the shade.

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on how this might be interfaced with Elve.  I suppose it takes a couple of relays, one for making contact for each direction.  They should probably be interlocked so they don't both make contact at the same time, but I don't know if this would be harmful or not.

Momentary switch contact is rather basic in home automation, so I thought someone might have an idea on approaching this.  I'm not familiar with what products might be on the market.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Deane