Author Topic: Connecting PulseWorx PIM-U to USB?  (Read 5546 times)

Deane Johnson

Connecting PulseWorx PIM-U to USB?
« on: September 07, 2010, 04:04:40 pm »
Just got my new PIM-U today and went to install it as a device in Elve Management Studio and ran into an issue.  It asks for the Com port location and there isn't one.  It's USB.  What to do?

Deane

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
Re: Connecting PulseWorx PIM-U to USB?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 09:39:26 pm »
Heh, yes it doesn't support USB at this time, but I might be able to add this real quick. Let me check if I can track down the USB vendor and product IDs for it.
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 09:59:02 pm »
I didn't track them down. I'll have to give PCS a call. While I'm at it I'll call Simply Automated as well.
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

Deane Johnson

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 03:09:30 am »
I am perhaps a bit confused.  I think I remember reading somewhere that the USB version emulates a serial version.  I used UpStart to "discover" it's location and it showed it to be on "Com 9".  I then set the Device Configuration in Management Studio to Com 9 and I'm getting a read out in the Elve Management Studio Device Properties showing:

Connected: true
Firmware Version: 5.54
PIM Device ID: 48
PIM Network ID: 255
UPB Version: 3

Does this mean Elve is actually seeing it?  I don't have any UPB devices installed yet, only the PIM.  That, of course, means no network, etc.  But, I set the Network ID to 1 so it would have an entry.

I haven't wanted to install the UPB dimmer switch I purchased for testing until I know I have a PIM working so I can follow through with it's set up.

Deane

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 07:50:13 am »
Ah ok, you are using a virtual serial port. I believe I saw the driver for that on the PCS website last night.  That should work fine then.  I was going to take the approach of directly communicating with the USB PIM without the need of the virtual serial port driver but since that is working for you I won't pursue that at this time.
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

jp.savaria@gmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 10:29:10 am »
Hi,

Don't know if it's available in version 2.0 but I would like to know if you're looking at supporting the USB-PIM without the virtual serial driver...  I use the Simply Automated USB-PIM and there's no virtual serial port.  I will also have a hard time using serial ports as I run ELVE on a MacMini + Windows XP and there's no serial port.  The other option will be to use a USB to serial adapter but I don't like to have too much abstraction layers, it tends to be less reliable across reboots and upgrades.

Thanks,