Author Topic: Virtual Machine Installation Problem  (Read 3163 times)

ClintonDouglass

• View Profile
Virtual Machine Installation Problem
« on: November 07, 2010, 08:03:38 am »
Does Elve have a problem with being installed in a virtual environment of XP?

I'm using Virtualbox and it throws the error "The application has failed to initialize (0xc0000135). Click OK to terminate the application."

ClintonDouglass

• View Profile
Re: Virtual Machine Installation Problem
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 08:56:42 am »
Just did a Google and the error looks like it may be related to a missing version of the .net framework. I went to thw Windows update site and it showed that versions 1.1 and 2.0 were available so I will give that a shot.

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
Virtual Machine Installation Problem
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 09:11:06 am »
Elve works fine in virtual machines. I regularly use vmware and virtualbox. Make sure you install .net 3.5 sp1.
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

diginerve

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 09:12:38 am »
should be fine, I have this running as a virtual machine.

The main issue is that you will most likely need the .net framework 3.5 also installed.
And do a reboot after installation.

-d

ClintonDouglass

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 09:17:16 am »
After the updates that was just performed I was prompted to download and install .net framework version 3.5 sp1 at the start of the Elve installation. It should've just told me that from the start!

What's strange was that after I performed the other updates I checked the Windows update site and virtual XP install was up to date.

Don't you just love .net framework issues!

ClintonDouglass

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 09:22:19 am »
That did it, thanks.

randy.andrade

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 09:35:58 am »
I'm not sure about VirtualBox, but I've been running Elve in an XP VM for several weeks now, over the last several versions (since 0.26.6, I believe). In my case, however, I'm running it under ESXi Server 4.0 / VSphere from VMWare. I was able to pick up a decent used Dell PowerEdge 1850 (1U rackmount server) from Craig's List for $200, which had a nice start for processing power & RAM, but was definitely lacking in the disk space department. To correct this situation, I took another spare computer (my old Elve dedicated server) and installed OpenFiler (a Linux-based dedicated NAS/SAN OS) on it. I then crammed all my "extra" HDs into the OpenFiler box, since it doesn't care what kind of HD you're using, you can create hardware or software RAID volumes across some or all of the HDs. I then made one big iSCSI target block on the OpenFiler box, and now the VMWare server has a gigabit-connected iSCSI volume to store the VM disks on, with > 1TB of storage available for the VMs. The only other thing I'd suggest is that I +did+ manually increase the reserved minimum memory & CPU Cycles; before I did that, I found there was ENTIRELY too much delay between input & output to the system.. for example, you'd walk into a room & trigger motion sensors, but it'd be a good 4-6 seconds before you actually got the lights turned on. Ever since I increased the reserved Memory & CPU resources, though, the system is quite acceptable & fairly snappy.. maybe a .5 - 1.5 second delay between triggering the motion sensor & having the lights turn on.

ClintonDouglass

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 10:52:41 am »
You should give VirtualBox a shot, it seems quicker than VM and has a smaller footprint on the host.

The only problem I have with VB is getting reliable control of the host serial port, but I haven't played with it long enough to give up on it yet.

Since John is using it perhaps he may have a trick or two up his sleeves?

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 11:02:12 am »
Since John is using it perhaps he may have a trick or two up his sleeves?

I haven't used Elve in VB for an extended period of time so I haven't run into the serial port dilemma.
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies