Author Topic: Need a little help getting iPhone going  (Read 7526 times)

DaveB

• View Profile
Re: Need a little help getting iPhone going
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 08:01:41 pm »
Remote access using your iPhone app when I am outside my firewall vs. inside my firewall was the task:  When I am inside of my firewall (ie. sitting in my house) my iphone uses my local network connection to connect to the automation server.  Firewall ports were not an issue as I was not technically browsing through my exterior firewall (ie: router).  All worked well. 
As soon as I attempted the same connection from outside the firewall now I had to introduce into the mix my external URL to my dynamic DNS address, which ports back to my server.  I could not figure out the correct URL to type, but after trial and error, resolved the issue. 
Now weather sitting inside my firewayy (and using NAT) or outside the firewall, I have great connectivity. 

The issue for you is that there is no documentation on your site that I can locate for your iPhone application. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 08:09:48 pm by DaveB »
Thanks!
Dave

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 10:47:14 pm »
I'm sorry but I'm still not clear on what application you are referring to ... this is the Web Browser Interface forum board, but your are referring to the "iPhone app" and you are also referring to urls. So I'll try to differentiate things below:

A. The iPhone app "Elve Mobile for the iPhone" is documented here. You can get to this via the Online Manual -> Touch Screen Viewer and Elve Mobile Applications -> Elve Mobile for Apple iPhone, iPod touch and iPad.

It does not use a url, but has separate server address/hostname and port fields.

B. When using a web browser such as Safari on the iPhone you can use any of the following url syntaxes:

yahoo.com
http://yahoo.com
http://yahoo.com:80
yahoo.com:80

replace yahoo.com with your domain name or ip address and 80 with the appropriate web server port.
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

DaveB

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 06:49:16 pm »
I'm sorry but I'm still not clear on what application you are referring to ... this is the Web Browser Interface forum board, but your are referring to the "iPhone app" and you are also referring to urls. So I'll try to differentiate things below:

A. The iPhone app "Elve Mobile for the iPhone" is documented here. You can get to this via the Online Manual -> Touch Screen Viewer and Elve Mobile Applications -> Elve Mobile for Apple iPhone, iPod touch and iPad.

It does not use a url, but has separate server address/hostname and port fields.

B. When using a web browser such as Safari on the iPhone you can use any of the following url syntaxes:

yahoo.com
http://yahoo.com
http://yahoo.com:80
yahoo.com:80

replace yahoo.com with your domain name or ip address and 80 with the appropriate web server port.
John;  Like I stated, I am refering to the iPhone App.  I do not know how much more defined I could be.  The issue is that I consider the iPhone app a web app, as actually, that is what it is, so maybe I am in the wrong area.  Same problem still exists, you need documentation on the site for configuration options available for the iPod app along with some real life examples.  And yes, the iPhone app contains a URL to my Dynamic DNS which ports into my server. 
Thanks!
Dave

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2011, 12:23:30 am »
The iPhone App, known as "Elve Mobile for iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad" is an iPhone application which can use the Internet but it is not a web app. It does not use the HTTP protocol and does not have a URL. I think what you are referring to as a url is actually just a fully qualified domain name (which is a subset of a url). For example, you would normally consider yahoo.com to be a domain name, but http://yahoo.com to be a url... but that's just semantics.

This board is meant for topics related to the Elve web server, IIS, Elve web site development. It's not a problem that you posted your question here, it just threw me off a little. :)

The Elve Mobile for iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad manual describes each configuration option for the application. I'll update it to include examples.

Thanks
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

DaveB

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2011, 06:59:41 pm »
So John, it is symantics, you are correct, but it still needs documentation.  Concerning the manual; 
So when you go here :  http://codecoretechnologies.com/content/Elve%20Online%20Manual.ashx
Where does the link to the iPhone application manual appear on the site?  Maybe it is just me, but there is no table of contents link or supported devices link (where it should be) that will get you to the manual.  Your link to that manual is the first time that I have viewed the document. 
Thanks!
Dave

Frunple

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2011, 05:15:34 am »
Go there again, Click "Touch Screen Viewer and Elve Mobile Applications", then click "Touch Screen Viewer and Elve Mobile Applications" again. Then click "Elve Mobile for Apple iPhone, iPod touch and iPad".
Is that what you are looking for?

DaveB

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2011, 06:53:08 am »
Yes, that is it.  I missed that.  Maybe it should be brought closer to the surface by simply listing the iPhone/iPad app in the main index. 
Thanks!
Dave

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2011, 02:46:49 pm »
I'll take a look, thanks.
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2011, 02:55:25 pm »
I updated the manual so that there are links at the top level now.
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

DaveB

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2011, 06:05:45 pm »
Great John, I think that more will locate it.  Thanks!
Thanks!
Dave