Author Topic: General Questions  (Read 697 times)

anogee

• View Profile
General Questions
« on: January 02, 2011, 03:33:53 pm »
I'm running the trial and very impressed with what I see.  ELVE seems to be laid out quite logically.  But I do have a few newby questions.

1) I installed the UPB driver and it is connected to my PIM, but how do I know if its reading my export file or if its using auto-discovery?  Where would it tell that?

2) I installed the HAI Omni Pro II driver, and although it produced a page of errors initially, it seems to work, but how do I monitor or control it in real-time?  For example, how do I see it a zone is not-ready, or how do I manually turn on a light?  I see I can create a dummy rule and a dummy action then "test" it, and it does work, but is there a way to monitor and control driver functions without create creating a rule or scene?

3) I'm attempting a simple action that will speak something when a door is opened or a light is turned on.  I created a rule, and set either an HAI zone or UPB lighting level change.  In "Whatever" I set the zone number or light number but is there a way to pick by name, not just "array number?"  Also, how do I filter it so it only triggers is a zone is not-ready?  I selected the "Edit Filter" button expecting some type of filter there, but it only lets me select the zone or light number.  So how do I filter it so it only speaks when a zone is not-ready, instead of any change?

Thanks.

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
Re: General Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 11:13:29 pm »
I'm running the trial and very impressed with what I see.  ELVE seems to be laid out quite logically.  But I do have a few newby questions.

1) I installed the UPB driver and it is connected to my PIM, but how do I know if its reading my export file or if its using auto-discovery?  Where would it tell that?
Thank you.

There's nothing that directly indicates if it is reading the file... we will add that, thanks for the idea.

BUT you can tell if it is using the export file by seeing if the Link Names property is populated (assuming you have some named links). In Elve Management Studio, click the Devices button, then select your UPB device, then select the Properties tab. Take a look at the Link Names or even the Light names property to see if they are populated with names.

2) I installed the HAI Omni Pro II driver, and although it produced a page of errors initially, it seems to work, but how do I monitor or control it in real-time?  For example, how do I see it a zone is not-ready, or how do I manually turn on a light?  I see I can create a dummy rule and a dummy action then "test" it, and it does work, but is there a way to monitor and control driver functions without create creating a rule or scene?

You can control the light in a couple ways from the Devices window in Elve Management Studio. Select the device and then you can either use the Properties or Methods tab to control the device immediately. These tabs are great for testing your environment or the driver. You can also use the Script Editor in Elve Management Studio but that is a more advanced feature.

3) I'm attempting a simple action that will speak something when a door is opened or a light is turned on.  I created a rule, and set either an HAI zone or UPB lighting level change.  In "Whatever" I set the zone number or light number but is there a way to pick by name, not just "array number?" 

Most areas of Elve let you choose from a named list, but the Whenever filters did not get that feature in version 1.0. It is on our to do list. So for the time being you will need to just enter the number until we can update it.

Also, how do I filter it so it only triggers is a zone is not-ready?  I selected the "Edit Filter" button expecting some type of filter there, but it only lets me select the zone or light number.  So how do I filter it so it only speaks when a zone is not-ready, instead of any change?

It depends on the driver and event when it comes to how elaborate the Rule filter criteria is. Some are very elaborate and some are very basic. For the HAI driver's "Zone Physical Status Changed" event, there is currently no whenever filter on the new state. HOWEVER you can still filter on anything in the action list. On the Action List tab, select Add Action -> Condition -> Add New Condition. Then in the new condition, select the 1st underlined element, then choose the From Device tab and select "Zone Physical Statuses". You'll then need to set the appropriate zone. The last part is trickier because you need to know what numbers are associated with the Not Ready. The documentation indicates for Zone Physical Statuses: Gets the physical status for all zones. -1=Unknown, 0=Normal, 1=Trouble, 2=Violated, 3=Bypassed.  I'm assuming you want "Violated", or 2 so select the last underlined element, choose value, on the Custom Value tab, enter 2 and select the numeric for the value type.

Using conditions is not as user friendly as just choosing the status from a list... the Elk M1 driver does allow you to do that, but the HAI driver does not. We can certainly enhance the driver to have better whenever filters. Please add a feature request post and we'd be happy to do that.

John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
Re: General Questions
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 11:29:47 pm »
PS: We added a UPStartExportFileStatus property to the UPB driver which will be available in the next release.

Thanks
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies