Author Topic: Keyboard Commands to Any Program?  (Read 978 times)

Aslamma

• View Profile
Keyboard Commands to Any Program?
« on: April 18, 2010, 03:19:26 pm »
The keyboard shortcuts look like they must be sent to a specific program application, is this true?  Or can they be sent generically to the current window? 

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
Re: Keyboard Commands to Any Program?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 03:50:02 pm »
They are sent to the window for the application specified in the desktop driver.  You can have multiple desktop drivers running at the same time.
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

Aslamma

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 07:39:21 am »
Media Center, Hulu, iTunes, etc all recognize the "Enter" keyboard command (just an example).  With eventghost, I just send "Enter" to the active window. 

What would I need to do with Elve?  Do I have to create this key for each program?  Then what happens if I have media center and iTunes open (wouldnt it send to both simultaneously)? 

Another example would be that I use the "TV" screen for both media center and Hulu, rather than having a dedicated hulu screen.  Since they have similar functionality, I just use the same keys.

Still confused on this one.  Why I can't I just send the key to the active window?  This way it won't clash.  Maybe I am missing something? 
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 07:41:16 am by Aslamma »

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 07:45:43 am »
With Elve you would add a Desktop Application device for each application you want to send keys to. Then you would use the respective device to send the keys to the correct application.

It will not send keys to multiple applications unless they have the same process name, so no, it would not send ENTER to both media center and itunes at the same time.

John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

Aslamma

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 07:56:46 am »
I did a bad job of explaining previously. 

I have a tv screen and I want that screen to use the navigation buttons to control both media center and hulu.  So the same button should control both.  The way it works with eventghost is to just send the keys to the window.  If media center is the current window it goes to that, if hulu is the current window it just works for that. 

In elve, I would have to make the same buttons execute both actions simultaneously if I want to "reuse" the buttons.  Wouldn't this create a problem if both apps are runnning?   Otherwise I would need to create a new set of dedicated buttons for each specific app, which is not desirable for a few reasons.