Author Topic: Add a second IP address for portable viewers  (Read 3155 times)

mustangcoupe

• View Profile
Add a second IP address for portable viewers
« on: April 18, 2010, 06:37:20 pm »
It would be nice to have a second ip address programmed for portable viewers which connection will attempt both IP's in order before failure to connect.  This would be helpful for devices that do not have cellular connections (ex. ipod touch) which I'd like to use inside the house and outside.  but the internal ip address can not be used outsice the network, and the reverse is also true (on mu network at least) I can not use my external Ip address or a dynamic host name to the external address.  I guess my firewall doesn't like packets going out and back in.

hpservertech

• View Profile
Re: Add a second IP address for portable viewers
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 08:30:24 pm »
Just a suggestion, but you can always find some cheap 802.11b access points on ebay that are dirty cheap.  Put one of these in the rafters of your garage, or even put a larger antenna on it and you would be surprised the distance you can get.

or you can do like I did.  I put a repeater in an enclosure and mounted it under my deck.  Then ran the network cable back to my switch with a POE injector so I didn't have to worry about power.  Mounted it under the deck so it's not seen.  I have almost 2 acres and there isn't a spot where I dont get at least 3/4 bars on my ipod touch. 

Not really what your looking for, but it would solve what your wanting to do, plus more.
Current setup: Windows 7 Enterprise x86, x10 cm15a, dedicated master server, dedicated WHS for media

CommandFusion

• View Profile
    • CommandFusion
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 09:31:36 pm »
You can also get a router which has a feature called NAT Loopback - this allows you to use the WAN address from both within the LAN and external connections such as 3G on an iPhone. Then its just a matter of forwarding the relevant ports.
Jarrod Bell
CommandFusion
iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad control interface

mustangcoupe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 04:18:45 am »
I actually use M0N0Wall for my firewall and found this setting lastnight, so now I can hit the outside domain no matter where I am.

Thanks guys for making me think and look harder

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 05:37:29 pm »
Still want the feature or can I close this?  I think most new routers support NAT Loopback.
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

mustangcoupe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 04:48:11 am »
for me the issue is closed, but I dont know if any other users are having this same problem