Author Topic: Delay when screens are displayed  (Read 2660 times)

iostream212

• View Profile
Delay when screens are displayed
« on: March 19, 2011, 10:03:49 am »
Hello,
new user here and I've been having fun putting the system through its paces.  I am building my first touch screen and had a question on how to minimize the delay of controls being drawn to the sceen.

I am making a thermostat popup screen. I understand that I see the 'Please Wait' circle logo while the screen is cached. After I close and reopen after initial initialization the screens popup immediately.  Non-bound items appear immediately too like buttons and static labels.  I have several image list controls and labels that are bound to thermostat values. It is these items that can be seen being drawn to the screen every time it is opened. 

Is there a way to elimate this effect? I am trying to achieve an instantly populated screen when it is opened. I would even prefer to have the delay first as the screen draw in the background and then display after all bound items are populated.
Thanks!
I always wanted to be somebody. In retrospect, I think I should have been more specific.

iostream212

• View Profile
Re: Delay when screens are displayed
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 08:01:30 am »
I was messing around the the Steel Dashboard example and noticed no drawing lag when that thermostat screen was shown.  The difference was that my screen was shown as a popup and in the Steel Dashboard example it was an inner touch screen.  I decided to change mine from a popup to an inner touch screen and that solved all lagging issues.   ;D
I always wanted to be somebody. In retrospect, I think I should have been more specific.

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 10:46:16 pm »
Interesting, so you are seeing a drawing lag when controls are rendered on a popup. Thanks for bringing that to our attention, we'll have to look into that.

John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

Juan C.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 10:05:12 am »
John if you recall I posted an issue with the POPUP, they are very slow, had issues on the iPad were Elve will crash, was having the same problem on the iPhone, but did some changes and had it work, don´t know if you could take a look at it. This is what I have found, if the TS is a main screen and you try to display a POPUP it will crash or take very long to load, also when loading the TS dissaper for a second but when comes back the TS is not as it suppose to be, how I made it work on the iPhone was by openning a TS, using a loader button I´m loading a TS as top TS, inside this TS there is an inner container which automatic loads a TS, in that TS is where I have the POPUP´s, they have not crash at this point, but they do take some time to load (about 5 seconds), that´s a lot oa waiting. Have not test if this will work on the iPad, will let you know when I have a chance, from my point of view there is still some improvements to make on the POPUP.

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 12:37:55 pm »
Yes that's still on the to do list... as well as some improvements to the Elve Mobile app.
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 01:07:18 pm »
Juan, are you still seeing  this issue with the latest beta version?
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

Juan C.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 01:41:36 pm »
John,

I have not seen the app crash latetly, still a little slow, I´m attaching you some pictures in sequence for you to understand the issue, on picture one you have the media TS, when I press the button "Teclado" it takes two seconds to load the Pop up (on picture 4), on those two seconds everything disappers but the background (picture 2) and then I get partial screen (picture 3) and finally the popup (picture 4), have timed and is exactly two seconds, hope that this can be improve, this problem only happens with mobile app, with the PC there is no issue.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 01:59:47 pm by Juan C. »

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 10:42:31 am »
Are you guys still seeing this issue in the latest v1.2 beta? There have been many improvements to the touch service recently.

Popups are still not cached so they will be a little slower than other screens.  Also on the iPhone I recommend checking if Quality mode runs faster with your touch screen than Optimized mode. Also if you are using Optimized mode with large backgrounds, it can take longer to load some screens the 1st time because the entire background image (or other images) are downloaded.

Popups are slated to be cached in a future version which should help.
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

Juan C.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 09:44:15 pm »
I have it working correctly know, but I have to set the Elve Mobile in High Quality, otherwise it will not work

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 11:31:08 pm »
A good example is to use the iPhone sample touch screen and press one of the thermostats on the favorites screen. This will show a popup with quite a few controls. This displays in approximately 1 second on my iPhone and less than 1 second when using Touch Screen Viewer from a remote machine.

If you are experiencing slower speeds then that with popups then please send me a sample touch screen so I can test using your screens. If there is a bug then we will fix it. If it is a result of popups not being cached then we'll have to wait for a future version so we can add that as a performance enhancement.
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies