Author Topic: "Elve proofing" a computer  (Read 1140 times)

Walken100

• View Profile
"Elve proofing" a computer
« on: March 25, 2011, 08:25:32 am »
Is there a "watch dog" functionality within Elve. Let me explain.

I use Elve on my main desk top (for now).  I frequently encounter lockups when accessing Elve from other computers, both remotely and in the house.  I attribute this to my poor computer habits, IE. having a few "thousand" applications open at once, never rebooting the system etc.....  Typically this requires a reboot of the computer to make Elve (and other programs behave correctly).  This is not a big deal until I leave the house and forget to reboot the system. Then I find I can't access anything remotely.

Ok, I know that the answer is "don't do that" but to "jester proof" the system it would be nice for Elve to recognize that it isn't talking to anything and reboot the system for me.

Not sure if I can do this with a script or some other way. If not then I'll make this a feature request.

And yes, I know I'm the "jester" is in this case.  ::)

Bart

PS. I did not type jester.....
Bart
So tell me again why I have a right half of my brain?

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
Re: "Elve proofing" a computer
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 08:29:35 am »
The Elve services are very robust and it is very rare to see one crash. However if one does crash then they system will automatically restart it up to 3-ish times per day.

However this is nothing that will monitor the responsiveness of the applications or the system and subsequently restart the services if something is not working properly. One of the problems with this type of solution is that there is no guarantee that whatever environmental issues are causing a service to lockup wouldn't also cause the watchdog to lock up.
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

iostream212

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 08:50:53 am »
What about doing something with the remote shutdown tool and Windows Scheduler to auto restart http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317371.
Or use some non-computer device to trigger a restart. Like, for example,  I have an ISY. I could make a program in ISY to kill a power switch that the computer is connected to, then wait 10 seconds, then turn the power on again, and then send a WOL packet using the networking module.
Of course I wouldn't want to be yanking out power cords all the time, but it is a thought for intermittent issues.
I always wanted to be somebody. In retrospect, I think I should have been more specific.

Walken100

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 10:20:47 am »
I'll have to give this some more thought. It is not uncommon that after being away ~3 days I stop being able to access Elve. When I get home I've typically found that the computer is locked (or behaving erradically) or has been restarted as a result of an auto update. However it is not a consistent problem so I haven't found a specific culprit.  Truth is it may not be related to the auto update or elve at all. It may be something to do with my dynamic IP service or something I haven't considered. 

I'll put this in the category of needs more work on my part.

Bart

Frunple

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 10:34:01 am »
You really shouldn't be using your main desktop for your HA server.
Take a look at Zotac MAG. No serial ports, no OS. $268.00.
You can get usb to serial adapters for $2 ea on eBay.
I just bought ten of them. So far the only problem I'm having is my UPB, but I can't get it to work on a normal comm port either so It's not the usb-serial converters. Still looking into it.

Walken100

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 11:14:16 am »
You really shouldn't be using your main desktop for your HA server.
Take a look at Zotac MAG. No serial ports, no OS. $268.00.
You can get usb to serial adapters for $2 ea on eBay.
I just bought ten of them. So far the only problem I'm having is my UPB, but I can't get it to work on a normal comm port either so It's not the usb-serial converters. Still looking into it.

I know, just waiting until my knowlege of HA is to the point I feel I'm qualified to pick a computer. I'm close just not there yet. Thanks for the input. Looks interesting.
Bart