Author Topic: Aeon Z-Stick (and compatible) Z-Wave Driver Development  (Read 23221 times)

Jonathan B

• View Profile
Aeon Z-Stick (and compatible) Z-Wave Driver Development
« on: September 28, 2011, 11:46:35 am »
This is a new Z-Wave driver for Elve written in 100% managed .NET code (it does not rely on any other Z-Wave libraries and so will run on 32 and 64 bit systems without library issues). It is tested against the Aeon Labs Z-Stick but should work with many other Z-Wave USB sticks that present themselves as a virtual COM port.

This driver will go out and poll the nodes on the network when it starts so it may take some time. A future version will cache that information so startups will be faster. The driver produces fairly detailed level debug logs if you want to see the activity.

It has internal logic to try and determine if a node requires polling or supports push (Hail) notifications. If a device supports Hail (like the Vizia RF) it will associate itself with the node and should receive instant updates.

Right now this driver has a limited number of command classes which should cover most lamp controls/light switches and limited support for Motion detectors (I'm testing with the CA9000). Thermostat control is on my to do list.

You can download the current development build from the following link and copy it to "C:\ProgramData\Codecore Technologies\Elve\DeviceDrivers\Compiled".

https://bitbucket.org/bradsjm/aeonzstickdriver/downloads/AeonZStickDriver.zip

The source code is available on the same web site at https://bitbucket.org/bradsjm/aeonzstickdriver/

This is version 0.2 and is the first release I consider usable enough for wider testing  :)

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
Re: Aeon Z-Stick (and compatible) Z-Wave Driver Development
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 09:46:27 pm »
Jonathan,

Are you still using your Z-Wave driver? If so how has it been and are you looking for any contributors?
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

Jonathan B

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 08:08:50 am »
It worked great in my testing. However life issues and travel have had me put HA on hold right now. Plan to return to it next month.

The items on my list for updates to the code are:

1. Make it work with the USB ThinkStick. I think this is as simple as making the code work with USB HID communication in addition to serial.

2. Support Thermostat classes.

bpwwer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 08:42:14 am »
I am still interested in helping, time permitting :)

Right now I have a couple of the Kwikset locks that I would like to support. John, I saw that you added lock support to your z-wave driver. Would any of that be useful for this one?

jayd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 10:42:12 am »
Just commenting on this thread - I picked up a Leviton VRC0P+3 (support for locks).  I have not tested out the lock functionality yet due to an issue with my primary/secondary controller syncing, but it is able to issue the appropriate commands (John added support for locking/unlocking). 

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 09:42:19 pm »
It's been a while since I have looked at it.  Does the driver use the binary protocol ... or I believe there is an ascii protocol similar to levitons's?
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

rnschltz

• View Profile
Z-Stick Driver
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 06:33:03 am »
I was using the 1.1 trial release and the zstick driver was working, although I had issues with the built-in web server (not creating the /bin directory and associated files). Loaded up 1.1.0.94 and the built in web server works, but it appears the zstick driver broke :(. It polls the device, but never retrieves the nodes. I tried deleting/reinstalling the driver, updating the zstick to the latest firmware (5.03) deleting/rediscovering the nodes, to no avail. Log clip attached with debug info. Using the Aeon Labs Zstick 2.

Thanks!
Ron
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 07:08:20 am by rnschltz »

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 10:03:15 am »
I moved the above topic from Ron into this thread since Ron is using Jonathan's Aeon driver.
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

rnschltz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 10:34:36 am »
Thanks, John - I got my Jon's and John's mixed up  ::)

rnschltz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 07:51:40 pm »
Rolled back to 1.1 and the driver works again...log attached. Built-in website is now working since 1.1.0.94 installed the directory and config files.

So guess I am staying with 1.1 for the immediate future....
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 08:03:04 pm by rnschltz »

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 08:15:56 pm »
Rolled back to 1.1 and the driver works again...log attached. Built-in website is now working since 1.1.0.94 installed the directory and config files.

So guess I am staying with 1.1 for the immediate future....

When you say "rolled back to 1.1", what is the full version number?  1.1.0.94  is the latest.
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

rnschltz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 08:59:37 pm »
The current version that is available for trial - Master Service shows it as 1.1.0.0

rnschltz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 04:24:47 pm »
Just an update on this - I tried 1.5.0.0 beta and still experiencing the same issue - 1.1.0.0 is back and no issue.

I guess I am about ready to give up on this - anyone know where I can get the best deal on a VRC0P?  ::)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 04:27:50 pm by rnschltz »

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 08:55:02 pm »
Jonathan,

I'm brain storming here...

The latest viziarf driver supports many raw Zwave command packets but does not currently support zwave headers/packet encapsulation...  Everything is wrapped in the simple ASCII viziarf command structure.

I wonder how hard it would be to merge the aeon and vizia rf drivers into one using the vizia rf driver as the core and moving the binary packet/header logic in from the aeon driver. The vizia rf driver supports lights, locks, sensors, thermostats, and much more.

The user would simply select which type of controller device they are using in the driver settings.
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 09:06:40 pm »
I'm thinking at a high level at this point. I have not dug into the aeon driver source code.
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies