Author Topic: Weather Channel Discontinues Free Data Feed  (Read 8423 times)

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
Weather Channel Discontinues Free Data Feed
« on: October 13, 2011, 03:58:54 pm »
It looks like the Weather Channel will discontinue it's free weather data feed on October 31, 2011 and will be replacing it with a new subscription service.

It appears that this may require changes to the Weather Channel driver for use after Oct 31st, 2011 and that users would need to subscribe to the new weather channel data feed (for a fee).

ALTERNATIVES: Elve 1.2 (currently in public beta) also has drivers for the NOAA weather service and Weather Underground as alternatives to the Weather Channel service.

The official announcement from the Weather Channel can be read here:
http://twcweather.com/twc40/wmws/TWC/1318544970034_971/w26988.php

Here is a text version:
Dear Registrant:

We are writing to you because our records indicate that you are a registered user of the weather.com® XML Data Feed (http://xoap.weather.com.)

As a valued subscriber, we want to let you know that our data feed service offerings are changing. Beginning the week of October 10th, 2011, we will be launching a new subscription service, The Weather Channel® API.

The Weather Channel® API is a subscription offering created by The Weather Channel specifically to provide developers with access to an easy to use weather data feed that they can use to power commercial applications across a variety of technology platforms.

Key Features include:
•   access to the most comprehensive global forecast set available anywhere
•   white label solution (no logo; no links)
•   weather data provided by weather.com®
•   data may be accessed in either XML or JSON format
•   leverages a world class cloud-based Infrastructure
•   product support for the world wide web, the mobile web, downloadable web / PC applications, and downloadable mobile phone / smart phone applications
•   multi-language support for English, Spanish, French, German, & Portuguese
What this means to you:
In order to have access to an XML data feed from The Weather Channel, you will need to subscribe to The Weather Channel® API. This letter serves as formal notice to you that your access to the weather.com® XML Data Feed will terminate at midnight Eastern time on October 31, 2011. To evaluate The Weather Channel® API as an alternative to the weather.com® XML Data Feed, please go to http://portal.theweatherchannel.com.

If you have questions concerning this notice, you can call The Weather Channel at (770) 226-2329 or e-mail us at theweatherchannelapi@weather.com.

We look forward to continuing our relationship with you.

Best Regards,

Scott H. Zucker
Director, Revenue Management & Optimization
The Weather Channel, LLC
Phone: (770) 226-2329
Facsimile: (770) 226-2966
E-mail: theweatherchannelapi@weather.com
Web: http://portal.theweatherchannel.com

John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

Deane Johnson

• View Profile
Re: Weather Channel Discontinues Free Data Feed
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 05:46:59 pm »
They are, of course, out of their collective minds.  $62 a month for a home automation system to get a weather feed.  Bye bye Weather Channel for me.

Now I've got to figure out how to get one of the others going.  I've been using the radar from the Weather Underground for some time and like it pretty well.

iostream212

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 06:25:08 pm »
Seriously? $62/month? Wow. I think I'll either have to skip dinner 12 nights a month to afford, or maybe I will buy a window.
I always wanted to be somebody. In retrospect, I think I should have been more specific.

iolaus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 01:29:35 am »
Congratulations to The Weather Channel on their swift and decisive move toward irrelevance on the web.

bpwwer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 01:52:04 pm »
I received that notice too but I haven't been able to view the alternatives link that's include in it.  Thus I don't know what the $62 a month is for.  However, most of the other weather providers also charge a fee for the data.  Both WeatherBug and Weather Underground charge the developer of the application and the developer has to recoup the cost via sales.

The Weather Underground driver in the beta provides access to Weather Underground Persona Weather Station data.  This is designed to gain access to your own personal weather station that is configured to upload data to Weather Underground.  The driver provides access to the selected station's data and to the area's forecast data.

dgeffs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 12:33:47 pm »
Which beta version contains the weather underground driver? I'm running a few versions behind and don't see it.

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 09:03:52 pm »
Version  1.1.0.73 and later contain the weather underground driver.
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

Frunple

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 07:07:03 am »
Does the weather underground driver have all the same properties? If not, will it eventually?

Deane Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 10:07:55 am »
Wasn't the feed supposed to end November 1?  Mine's still working.

Frunple

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 06:26:38 pm »
Mine still works also. Plus, I never got an email saying it would no longer be free. Maybe it depends on how you signed up?

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 03:34:04 pm »
Perhaps it is how I signed up... I may have a commercial account and not personal but I do not recall setting it up that way... or if that was even an option.

I now see the following message in the Elve log:

WeatherDriver received an error from the weather channel web site: Invalid License Key.
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

Deane Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 06:01:59 pm »
I'm now getting the same error message.  I'm not sure, but I think it's stopped updating.  They must have gotten around to pulling the plug.

Frunple

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 05:32:52 am »
Same here with the error but my data is still updating, for how long, who knows. Getting a ton of WU errors also.
This brings up my previous unanswered question, will the WU driver have the same properties as the weather channel driver?? Would be nice to just change the scripting ID.

bpwwer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 08:37:06 am »
. Getting a ton of WU errors also.
What errors? 

This brings up my previous unanswered question, will the WU driver have the same properties as the weather channel driver?? Would be nice to just change the scripting ID.
For the subset of information that is(was) common between the two, they are same.  The services don't support all the same data so there are some differences. Also, the data available will vary depending on what station is selected.

You can see a screen shots and list of supported properties here: http://www.bobsplace.com/ElveWUnderground/

Frunple

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2011, 02:34:31 pm »
Just checked it and it looks like its from all the different condition icon sets.

Date:     11/5/2011
Time:     4:56:04 PM
Severity: Error
Source:   DriverService
Computer: OPTIPLEX755
Context Type: Driver
Context Name: Weather Underground : Weather Underground
Description:
There is a bug in a driver... The driver attempted to process a device property change notification for a property named 'MobileConditionIconURLs' however the driver does not contain a property with that name.

It has the same error for all the different sets.

After checking further it also has the same error with 'precipitation' as the property but checking the device properties precipitation shows ok but Precipitation Chance shows "Error: NotsupportedException:Specified Method is not supported.

Are you the Dev for this driver?? If so, will we be able to retrieve the properties for a full week (or I think the WC driver was 5 days) in advance? ie sunset/rise is only available for the current day, not very useful for a forecast.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 02:41:34 pm by Frunple »