Author Topic: New IR problem executing a rule!  (Read 10023 times)

Deane Johnson

New IR problem executing a rule!
« on: October 17, 2011, 07:04:00 am »
My IR has been functioning perfectly for over a month now with the new Global Cache 100-6.  Never a miss.

I added an Action to the Theater ON list yesterday that simply turned the DVD player on via an IR emitter.  Wait 5 seconds and open the drawer.

At that point the Theater ON Action List would no longer respond to the received IR from the Pronto.

Other rules requiring activation from a received IR from the Pronto still appear to work normally.

I tried creating a new test rule with a different code and it too will not work.

The log shows normal receipt of the IR signal from the Pronto and a normal looking IR code.

The rule executes normally using the Test feature in the Rule.

I have removed the DVD player from the library and the Action from the Rule with no change.

The Theater OFF Rule has the same issue and I had also added the DVD Player IR Commands to it.

It's like everything is working normally but there is no connection between the received IR and the Rule execute function.

I have a feeling this is something simple I'm just not finding.

I'm using Version 1.1.0.67 which has been in place since it was released.
Windows XP Pro

Deane Johnson

Re: New IR problem executing a rule!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 04:58:51 am »
As I think more about this, I am wondering about possible file corruption.

I sort of remember an anomaly when I went to save the modification of the rule.  I believe I had to do a second save.   The reason I'm not sure is that I didn't check the rule until that evening, so I'm a bit hazy on what happened earlier.

I have a backup of the Elve Application files from before the incident.  I was going to rename the folder and substitute the backup to see if that cleared the issue, but it won't let me rename the original because it's in use.

iolaus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 07:18:25 am »
I have a backup of the Elve Application files from before the incident.  I was going to rename the folder and substitute the backup to see if that cleared the issue, but it won't let me rename the original because it's in use.

Deane,

You probably just need to stop all the Elve services before you can make changes to the files.

Deane Johnson

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 05:50:54 pm »
Thanks for your response.

Probably true, I'm not sure how to turn off the services.

I'd also like to figure out just which file it is rather than replacing the whole folder.

iolaus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 08:53:24 pm »
Thanks for your response.

Probably true, I'm not sure how to turn off the services.

I'd also like to figure out just which file it is rather than replacing the whole folder.

Assuming you're running windows you shut down the services using the Windows Services management interface.  Here are directions for finding it in different versions of Windows: http://www.sophos.com/support/knowledgebase/article/11299.html.  Just stop of the Elve services using that interface.

As for the correct file to replace, I'm not sure.

Deane Johnson

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 03:54:29 am »
Thanks iolaus.  I'm running Windows XP.  Using the link you provided, I found the Windows Services list with the Elve items clearly marked.

I haven't proceeded further yet as I need some uninterrupted time to concentrate on the project later today.

Deane Johnson

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 10:57:11 am »
Using Windows Service to stop Elve to allow replacing the Elve file in Applications worked out OK.  Replacing the Elve Applications file with one from the back up restored the system to it's previous functioning without incident.

However, any attempt to add anything to a rule breaks it again, and I have to replace the Elve Applications file to get it going again.

So, I'm operating OK for the moment, but I can't do anything to a rule without breaking it.

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 05:21:42 pm »
Deane, which files are you referring to when you say "Elve Applications"?  Are you referring to the exe and dll files? 
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

Deane Johnson

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 05:54:15 pm »
I'm replacing the entire Elve folder located in the Application Data folder in Documents and Settings.

Then, after rebooting, my performance returns to the where it was before the problem showed up.

If I add an action of any kind to a rule, the rule response to a received IR ceases to exist.  It's as if there was a communication wire between the received IR and the rule trigger that suddenly was cut.

Creating a new test rule is the same result.  No response.

At that point, I delete the Elve folder in Application Data, replace it with one from a back up made before the problem started, reboot the computer and I'm restored back in time before the problem started and all works well until I try to add something to the rule.

I should add that it appears that rules that are not added to continue to work normally even after another modified rule stops responding to IR due to modification of that rule.  It seems the break only occurs on a rule having an action added to it.  The testing I have done makes this appear to be the case.  We're talking IR triggered rules here, not others.  I haven't seen evidence of any malfunction of any other rule than IR triggered.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 06:53:36 pm by Deane Johnson »

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 05:32:05 pm »
If you can zip up the good and bad MasterService.config files and your license.lic file, then email them to me, I will take a look at them.

Hopefully I have those filenames right... I'm away from my desk at the moment.
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

Deane Johnson

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 05:37:19 pm »
Files Emailed.

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 11:14:40 pm »
Deane,

I took a look at the files. The 2 TheaterON rules are the same between the 2 files (other than the ir command in one is named NEC21TheaterOn and in the other it is named NEC21TheaterON ... the only difference is the capitalization of the last letter.

From my understanding you stopped the Elve services, restored the backup config and rebooted the computer... and things worked as desired.

1. Did you try rebooting the machine without restoring the backup?  I wonder if a reboot fixes the issue after modify the rule and it stops working.

2. Can you try restarting the Device in EMS to see if that corrects the issue.

3. Is it true that only the rule that you modify stops working?

4. Can you turn on logging each time the rule is run (it's a checkbox in the rule) to determine if the system thinks it runs the rule.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 11:31:14 pm by John Hughes »
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

Deane Johnson

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 09:20:37 am »

I took a look at the files. The 2 TheaterON rules are the same between the 2 files (other than the ir command in one is named NEC21TheaterOn and in the other it is named NEC21TheaterON ... the only difference is the capitalization of the last letter.

A typo that occurred when I re-did both the IR and the Rule to assure neither one was glitched.

From my understanding you stopped the Elve services, restored the backup config and rebooted the computer... and things worked as desired.

1. Did you try rebooting the machine without restoring the backup?  I wonder if a reboot fixes the issue after modify the rule and it stops working.
Your understanding is correct.

Rebooting the machine by itself without restoring the file does not fix the problem.

2. Can you try restarting the Device in EMS to see if that corrects the issue.

Tested and does not correct the issue.

3. Is it true that only the rule that you modify stops working?

Tested again and that is correct.

4. Can you turn on logging each time the rule is run (it's a checkbox in the rule) to determine if the system thinks it runs the rule.

Log Entry Detail with Rule working:

Date:     10/23/2011
Time:     11:06 AM
Severity: Debug
Source:   DriverService
Computer: DEANE
Context Type: Driver
Context Name: Global Cache GC-100/iTach : Global Cache GC-100/iTach
Description:
Global Cache Driver received: completeir,2:3,9

Log Entry Detail with Rule not working:

Date:     10/23/2011
Time:     11:11 AM
Severity: Debug
Source:   DriverService
Computer: DEANE
Context Type: Driver
Context Name: Global Cache GC-100/iTach : Global Cache GC-100/iTach
Description:
Received IR code (not in learn mode): 38000,343,171,21,20,21,20,21,20,21,20,21,20,21,20,21,64,21,20,21,64,21,64,21,64,21,64,21,64,21,64,21,20,21,64,21,64,21,20,21,64,21,20,21,64,21,20,21,20,21,20,21,20,21,64,21,20,21,64,21,20,21,64,21,64,21,64,21,1673,343,86,21,3733,343,85,21,3812

The Log Viewer has other entries but they can't be copied.

NOTE:  The only change between the two was to add an Action to turn on a Z-Wave test lamp.  I note in the first one it only records a summary of the IR code and in the second the detail of the code.  The frequency of the code appears to be correct.

I have created an entirely new test rule and when doing so, it does not work.

It appears that any activity that involves saving the rule creates the problem.

Deane Johnson

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 09:28:22 am »
I have discovered that after restoring the Elve folder in Application Data, I do not need to reboot the computer.  I simply need to go back into Windows Services and restart the 3 services.

I should also mention that I upgraded to the latest Elve beta on the chance the upgrade process might replace a glitched file, but it had no effect.

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 01:25:54 pm »
Yes, rebooting and restarting the services should always have the same effect unless this is an outside program causing the problem.

My questions above are geared more toward whether or not the the solution fixes itself after Elve is completely restarted without restoring the backup (rebooting is the easiest way to make sure you don't miss anything).
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies