Author Topic: New IR problem executing a rule!  (Read 9668 times)

Deane Johnson

• View Profile
Re: New IR problem executing a rule!
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2011, 02:23:23 pm »
Restoring the back up is the only way it gets fixed.  To be clear, the file I restore is the entire Elve folder in Application Data.

It appears to me that the problem is not in Application Data, but something getting glitched in Elve proper, possibly when it is saved.

I am wondering if it would make sense to completely remove Elve from the computer and reinstall it.

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2011, 04:47:14 pm »
I just noticed the questions you answered, I have one more.

If you edit rules that are not associated with the gc100, do they work? Or are only the gc100 rules not working once edited?

I don't think replacing the the Elve program files will make a difference.

This all sounds very bizarre. :/

As I mentioned the 2 files you sent me were very different however the theateron rules had the same action list... so they don't match what you are describing here with adding a new action.

Can you please make a copy of the MasterServer.config file, then reproduce the problem with as few changes as possible, and make a copy of that master config file and send them to me again.

Thanks
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

Deane Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2011, 06:15:48 pm »
I ran a test as requested with a new Time & Date rule.  It did not break the system.  The Theater On rule worked normally and the Time & Date rule executed as ordered.

I then proceeded to create the two copies of the MasterServerConfig file as follows:

The above Time & Date rule was removed, Theater On was tested and confirmed to be working and the MasterServerConfig file was zipped and labeled GOOD.

I added one Action to the Theater On rule, the turning on of a Z-Wave Lamp module.  Nothing else was changed.  The Theater On was tested and confirmed to be not working, the MasterSeerverConfig file was zipped and labeled BROKEN.

I note the two files are the same size when zipped.  They have been emailed in two separate emails due to size.

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2011, 08:19:52 pm »
Great, thanks for the effort. I will take a look.

What are the % odds that this is just a coincidence with the inherent unreliable fluctuation of IR signals?

I only ask this because what you are seeing seems so unexpected.
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

Deane Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2011, 03:32:39 am »
What are the % odds that this is just a coincidence with the inherent unreliable fluctuation of IR signals?

I can say with confidence the odds are absolutely zero.

Overnight, it occurred to me to confirm that it was actually saving the modified rule.  It is.  I can save it, check to see that the Theater On is broken, exit EMS, reopen it to the rule and it's there with the new added Action.

At that point it remains broken, however I can use the Test feature and the entire rule will run including the added Action in place.

The only thing that appears broken is that the modified rule will not respond to a receipt of an IR trigger.  It's as if a wire running from the received IR to the Rule list has been cut with a pliers.

My uneducated mind still goes back to thinking a file or driver of some sort is corrupted.

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2011, 08:38:56 am »
Testing the rule proves that the action list will run. So it looks like the rule is not being triggered.

Earlier you mentioned that while newly saved rule is not being triggered by received IR commands, other similar rules on the same GC100 are getting triggered.

This would lead me to believe that while your rule change is being saved, the Elve GC100 device is not updating it's rule list properly. If this were to happen you would normally be able to restart the Elve device to force the driver to reload all the rules. However you mentioned that restarting the driver, the service or rebooting does not fix the issue.

So I wonder if something is causing an error when the rule is loaded. I will test this with the files you sent.
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

Deane Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2011, 09:49:13 am »
John, all of the things you mentioned in your last post are correct to my knowledge.

Thinking back over when this situation was created, I was adding an Action to the Theater On rule that sent an IR command to power on the DVD player.  I already had IR commands in the library for the player, but they were created with the USB-UIRT which had been removed and the driver deleted.  I remember something funny happening on the save, but I don't recall exactly what it was.  I didn't pursue it at the time and I didn't try to use the rule until that evening.  By then my 76 year old brain had forgotten exactly what had happened.

I am thinking the possibility exists that trying to use an IR command from the library for a device that no longer existed may be at the root of the problem.

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2011, 02:10:40 pm »
Yes if IR commands were deleted but still attached to a rule then that would cause a problem.

However I thought you had indicated that you can get the rule to work, but when you add an action to a gc100 rule, that rule is no longer getting triggered.  You did not mention any changes to the IR library or otherwise.

So at this point I think we need to start over and make sure were in sync on what is going on.
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

Deane Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2011, 02:25:25 pm »
Actually, we're not off the track.  When this problem first developed I immediately deleted that Action from the Rule.   Anything involving the DVD player has not been a part of the Rule since we started our discussions.

The old DVD player with the USB-UIRT codes is in the IR library at this time since when I restore the Elve folder they are restored with it, however there is no reference to it in any Rule.

I posted what I did so you would know that it had happened earlier at the time the problem started.

I don't see any way it could be affecting anything at this time, but perhaps your knowledge tells you something my limited knowledge doesn't,

Deane Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2011, 04:56:34 am »
Ahoy, John, are you there?  :)

Assuming you read the above post clarifying that the tests were indeed valid, I have a new set of thoughts.

Since completely replacing the Elve Application Folder to one that existed before the break occurred and it restores me to normal, that must mean that the Application section is at that point clean and good.

However, when I go to make a change of any kind in the rule and Save it, it breaks, that must mean it is something I did to the Elve software itself when I created the problem.

If I were to remove Elve from the computer completely and reinstall it, along with a clean Application folder, would I not be back to where I was before breaking things?

If so, how can I be sure to have Elve completely removed, and is there anything special to be aware of in getting my serial number back in properly?

Deane

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2011, 01:23:18 pm »
Unfortunately I have not reviewed the latest files you have sent me yet :(

The application data and application executables are in separate locations.

To completely uninstall the application executables, simply run elve setup again and select Uninstall. This will remove everything that the installer originally installed but will leave all application data (so your configuration will not be touched).

The application files are stored here in the path below. Please verify that this directory is removed before reinstalling Elve. If it is not empty please post what was left in the directory.
C:\Program Files\Elve

John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

Deane Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2011, 07:16:13 am »
The Elve folder was removed clean from the Programs folder.

Reinstalling Elve did not correct the problem.

To test, I simply added an additional Action to turn on a Z-Wave desk lamp in the Theater On rule.  Doing so broke the use of IR to trigger it as before.  However, as before, the rule operates normally from the Test button, including proper response of the newly added Action to turn on the desk lamp.

So what we have is that a newly installed Elve, along with restoring a backup copy of the complete Elve folder in Applications Data does not cure the issue.

John Hughes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Codecore Technologies
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2011, 08:10:09 am »
Deane,

I compared your configuration files and verified that the only change made was the additional action list item.

I did not see any corruption in the file and things look good.

Because the main configuration file looks good and from what you are describing, I see no reason why a full machine/system restart won't correct the issue assuming that nothing else changed.

Perhaps something else in the configuration is changing? The only way to find out would be to make a copy of the data directory, then make your breaking change, then use a file compare tool such as WinMerge to determine which files changed. If only the masterserver.config file changed then there must be some other cause for what you are seeing.
John Hughes
Codecore Technologies

Deane Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2011, 12:41:42 pm »
I'm an amateur at using WinMerge, but the only thing I see indicated as being different are masterserver.config and log.data.

I compared my backup Elve folder that works with one that was just broken for the test.

iolaus

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2011, 10:32:25 am »
Just throwing this out there, but you may want to run a memory validation test like http://www.memtest.org/.  In the past, when I've experienced very strange system behavior it has occasionally been due to bad memory.  Strangely, bad memory sometimes seems to manifest itself in a surprisingly consistent manner.